2 Stroke 96 ktm

5Id5Kf5X43G43I73J6c4p77da2eab4ce51e12.jpg

Curious if this bike is worth $380. It needs a new rod bearing and crank seals. This is what the Craigslist seller says it needs. Other than that its a good bike. Its a 125exc. How much would it take for me to get this thing running properly?

How much would you offer for this bike? The price is listed at $400 but I got him down to $380

Honestly, any time you purchase a 'basket' case or 'project' bike you're taking a gamble. It looks like a VERY doable fixer-upper though. I bought a $300 bike and ended up with a tricked out $4500 KX250. Once I tore down the bike I found that the hubs were busted the cylinder was severely rusted, the airbox was cracked pretty bad, the gas tank had a leak, and a bunch of corroded and rusted hardware.

If you want to see everything I had to replace and process I went through feel free to check out, and pretty please comment on my build... https://www.dirtbikeaddicts.com/thr...he-sickest-rebuilds-youll-ever-see-haha.2650/

Personally, I would pass because it's a 125 and it isn't the greatest bike as far as performance compared to today's current bikes.

I would pass because it's a mid-90's KTM. I think it was R-Dubya that had a mid 90's KTM and he could not find parts for his bike to save his life, I'd pass on that one and wait for something else.

Long term parts availability has gone to crap for all the manufacturers. Honda used to be 20 years for just about any part. Now your are lucky if it's 10 years. Sure if it's something that never breaks, then that part will hang around forever. If it's something prone to failure, forget it. You can't get those parts for anything they are gone.

Thanks for all the replies! I really appreciate it. I'm a beginner so I'm not looking for too much speed. For now a 125 is good for me. After I'm in the sport for some time I will invest in a 250. There's awesome deals popping up everyday in the local Craigslist. Right now I have a 79 Suzuki rm125. Finding parts for that thing is a lot worse than finding parts for this bike. That's my main problem. Parts. I need quite a few new things for the rm125 and its next to impossible. I also don't have a lot of coin to toss out right now. I'm on a severe budget. This ad has been on for over a week and still up. The seller is right down the road from me too. If I can get him to slash the price more.... I might do it.

OK. With what's been said in this thread. What would YOU the veteran rider offer for this bike? Fill me in on why as well. This way I can smooth talk my way with the seller. You guys know way more than I do. Thanks again for the help. You gotta love the FNG!

You're always going to find more wrong with it, you may pull the cylinder off to find you need to re-plate it. I wouldn't give him more then 300 and that's pushing it for me. Like everyone said parts for these aren't easy to find. I wouldn't be shocked if they were harder to find then 79 RM125 parts. You can't always jump on the first project/bike you see! I'd have to go with pass it up, a good one will come you just gotta look.

You're always going to find more wrong with it, you may pull the cylinder off to find you need to re-plate it. I wouldn't give him more then 300 and that's pushing it for me. Like everyone said parts for these aren't easy to find. I wouldn't be shocked if they were harder to find then 79 RM125 parts. You can't always jump on the first project/bike you see! I'd have to go with pass it up, a good one will come you just gotta look.
Lol I've been looking. Trust me. Everyday. This is the cheapest I've found. I'm sure I can fix it as well. I'll keep my options open. :)