4x6 or 4x8 trailer?

I have the option of either getting a 4x6 or a 4x8 trailer to haul my two dirtbike (CRF 250x) for about the same price.

with the 4x6 i know my back tire will be right at the edge but at the same time its a bit smaller and maybe easier to haul and store.
confused.gif

just wanted to get some thoughts on which one I should go with and why.

thanks,

James

Staff member
I have the option of either getting a 4x6 or a 4x8 trailer to haul my two dirtbike (CRF 250x) for about the same price.

with the 4x6 i know my back tire will be right at the edge but at the same time its a bit smaller and maybe easier to haul and store.
confused.gif

just wanted to get some thoughts on which one I should go with and why.

thanks,
Have you tried putting both bikes in it yet? How are your tie-down rings setup? Inclosed or frame?

I have a 5x10 (v-nose, inclosed) and I wish it was bigger, my advice would be to get the 4x8 (bigger is usually always better). :thumb:

Bigger is always better.........:devil:..........Honestly, more for your money. The extra footage can offer other uses like a cooler, gear, tool box, gas cans, spare ???

Go Big!! You'll be glad you did.I have a 4x8 and I can move it around fairly easily.Oh,and when there are a couple of holes in the floor you can drop a piece of 4x8x3/4 plywood in without cutting :smirk:

The six foot length is just not enough unless you put some kind of extensions like a piece of channel for the tires to go in. By then it will weigh more than a 4x8. Just get the larger one.

thanks all.

does the tire size make a difference?

the 4x6 has a 10x6 rim size and a 10x8 tire size
the 4x8 has a 12x4 rim size and a 12x5.3 tire size

the 4x6's tire is a little thicker.

any thoughts on this?

thanks all.

any thoughts on this?

Depends on how far you're planing to drive...the smaller the diameter the more rotations causing bearing and tread wear...(my experience with smaler tires anyways.) Shorter distances the less you have to worry...long distance I would recommend the bigger rims/tires.

I have a 4 x 6 with 12" tires for when I tow locally with my car, or just going to my cabin in the car with one bike. (saves LOTS of gas)
I have a 6.5' x 10' with 15" tires for carrying multiple bikes and quads with a truck.

Go as big as you can with the biggest tires. Also,lot's of people sell nearly new trailers on craigslist. I got my 4 x 6 brand new for $150 on CL and the bigger trailer was a reconditioned rental that came with new bearings, hitch, and tires for $400. It is a heavy duty tube steel unit with drop down loading gate.

I get strange looks with this one, but I have a bike hitch hauler on my car as well. Adjustable air shocks required) I got it used for $125 and the thing rocks! I can have my bike loaded in 5 minutes by myself with this thing. Good for the truck as well as you don't have to mess with a trailer. I'll be using this on the back of a truck this weekend on the OH ride.

Get the bigger trailer by all means. As Rez says, the larger diameter the better for longer distances and I would not be concerned if they are a bit thinner.
thanks all.

any thoughts on this?

Just like everyone says, I agree, however big you go, eventually you'll want even more room. I took that approach when I built mine, and now, I've got a mini, towable, aircraft carrier.:smirk:

The folding trailers are great if you have the extra $$$ they cost. There is a downside though. Those casters that allow you to roll the folded up trailer greatly reduce your ground clearance. Usually not a problem on the pavement, but it can be a big problem on the dirt. One little hole and those caster mounts can be tweaked bad.

Just like everyone says, I agree, however big you go, eventually you'll want even more room. I took that approach when I built mine, and now, I've got a mini, towable, aircraft carrier.:smirk:

So freakin long he requries a driver to steer the trailer in the back liek a FD ladder truck.....:smirk:...