150F/230F 428 conversion kit

I was looking around the interwebs one night and stumbled across this (http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/51939/i/renthal-428-conversion-final-drive-kit)

Kind of a cool concept, loose 2 pounds off of your drive to gain a little power. But is it worth it? If so, is there a Honda model bike that uses a 428 sprocket that will bolt up to a 2004 CRF150F? just so I can compare prices of a Renthal kit or just buying everything separately. Girlfriend needs a little more, and a new bike is out of the question at the moment, or I could just tell her to get used to it :smirk:. Im sure the kit is cheaper, but hey I like information, Thanks in advance :thumb:

a friend of mine did this. He was hoping for that little extra. It didnt work. It is still an underpowered begginers bike. Wouldnt climb sandy hills in the desert. Just a scheme in my mind to spend money.

the advantage you may get is in handling more than power. it isn't like the weight savings is out very far from center, so you don't get the kind of advanage you might from going to a ligher rim, tube, or tire when it comes to acceleration.

it is unsprung weight so I think its more of the HP factor, but some weight off the rear wheel may make the suspension work better..however this is not a high tech suspension on this bike so I think that is moot. You can probly get most of the change out of an aluminum rear sprocket and change the gearing slightly while doing this to get the most bang for your buck

it is unsprung weight so I think its more of the HP factor, but some weight off the rear wheel may make the suspension work better..however this is not a high tech suspension on this bike so I think that is moot. You can probly get most of the change out of an aluminum rear sprocket and change the gearing slightly while doing this to get the most bang for your buck

I read some reviews on it, doesnt seem to be worth any ones time or money. I geared it to a 14/50 last year form a 14/48 and that helped it a lot. I dont like aluminum sprockets because they last a whole 2 rides, but then again thats on my 450. Ill see what I can come up with. Thanks for the replys :thumb:

It is weight on the end of your swingarm more than any other part. Just like the weight of your wheel and your tire. Just like those, it has an affect on your handling. Your spring and damping have to account for weight added or taken off.

On that bike it is a question as to whether the typical rider will notice much of it.

Last edited: