Other 250r exhaust smoke

Hello guys and gals

As I was checkng the idle on my bike, I warmed her up, turned the choke off. Gave her a few revs and looked behind me while revving it (nothing mental)
The exhaust smoke was slightly black coloured when revved, at idle it’s fine (colourless)
Looked inside he exhaust and can see black deposit, I take it this is carbon build up?

Is my bike f***** inside? Or after a while do exhaust build all this stuff up?

Thanks
Ed

Hmmm well tomorrow will probably be my last ride for a while so I’ll take it in. What’s the general workover for this thing, bottom end and top end? Valves too?

Hmmm well tomorrow will probably be my last ride for a while so I’ll take it in. What’s the general workover for this thing, bottom end and top end? Valves too?

Depends on how many hours are on it. Do you have an hour meter? Did you buy it new?
Do you own a service manual?
How much you need to do on it varies from hour to hour and rider to rider.

No hour meter.

I bought it from a guy who just used it on a quarry, who also bought it from a guy. So I’m the third owner.
I should of bought an hour meter, but didn’t (for some reason)
No service manual.
I do regular servicing on it like oil and air filter but that’s it.
Not been heavily ridden since I’ve owned it anyway. Might just play it safe and get full re build in jan. cost me a small fortune though I imagine

I would. You will spend 1k but you will have a new motor ridden by you and you only. Hour meter and don't ride the limiter and it will Last you all next season with your oil and air maint. Prevent maint is always 1/2 price!
I would say go to a shop you trust and don't get in a hurry. Average mech may just want to shim to get it in spec, but you don't know how many times it has been shimmed. Crank, Replate, piston, seats guides springs and valves time chain and run it!

Or you could do like I do -
find a bike, ride it until it makes a weird noise, park it, then repeat.
When you're not riding, repair weird noises on already-ridden bikes, while waiting for current bike to start making weird noise.

Hmm well I’m considering a 16 crf250 bored up to a 290. Got twin yoshis, excel wheels talon hubs. Looks amazing.

But my job on the rigs isn’t to stable at the minute because of the oil price so I’m a bit weiry paying for toys at the min specialy when I’m moving into my first house in January.

Where and what you doing out on the rigs?
My old man spent a while off Aberdeen and put one of the final nails in the coffin of the Brent spar platform!
While installing a fire driver (mofo engine/pump) he was welding to a deck plate and a spark went between the steel plates and ignited an unknown gas build up within the tube the platform stood on, the plate next to him went up with a big bang and he lost all hair on the right side of his head for months:cripple:
After the investigation the rig was condemmed and decommissioned:thumb: