2015 Yamaha YZ250F aftermarket exhaust systems

First of all, I've never purchased a new motorcycle before, and something that is really confusing me is when the 2015's will be available. Multiple articles I've read tell me they are available in "June." Is that June of 2014 or 2015? I would love some clarification on that.

Now, back to the main topic. I am going to finally pick up a new machine next year, whether it be a 2015 or 2016 depending on whats available at my dealer. The model year, however, is besides the point. Among lubricating the bearings and a multitude of other things that I want to do to it right off the bat, one of them is going to be installing a new exhaust system. The purpose of doing so is to make it louder, plain and simple. Extra power is always nice, but that is not as important considering the new Yamaha's capabilities already. I will be purchasing a full exhaust system though. I've been racing a 2007 YZ250F with a full FMF exhaust system for 5 years now. I'm an old school kind of guy, but it's time to move on. My bike can't take it anymore. I cannot, however, get used to the sound of the stock exhaust system on new bikes. I test rode a buddy of mine's 2014 for a full day and it is simply too quiet. I could write another three paragraphs on why it is that I can't race a bike that is this quiet, but I'm not going to waste any more of your time and I ask that you don't waste mine with your opinions on noise.

I've always thought that Akrapovic looked pretty sexy on Yamaha's. What's your favorite brand of exhaust, and why? What do you suggest?

Oh, and will I need to buy a power tuner for the ECU if all I want to do is add exhaust?

Whatever bike you get, Check youtube for the best sounds. And yes a tuner will help TONS... And will calibrate for the exhaust.

You won't get much exhaust help here. Most of these guys don't believe in modding an exhaust system. :)

James

Staff member
If you want a louder bike, save yourself a lot of money and just go remove some of the exhaust packing. Quite exhaust problem solved!

June 2014
Any exhaust sold now a days needs to meet a decibel requirement and for good reason... Noise polution. I don't know how it is in your hood but on the east coast even our lawn mowers have to meet a certain curbside decibel level. I understand the use of a pipe to get better performance but I would really like to hear why you would want it louder?

I used to say it was to alert the bears that I was coming when I first put a Midvalley CZ built pipe on my Ossa. (so dont try that excuse AK, since it has already been used.)

Back 20 or 30 years ago there were big gains from going with an aftermarket system. Now the OEM's put more effort into exhaust and the comparatively large gains just are not there any more. Sure there are some gains, but I'm not so sure it's worth it.

Are you a track rider? If not you may like the non SX KTM's a lot better for the trails.