RM-Z450 2014 rmz450

Hey guys

Got a problem with my 2014 rmz450
The bike will only run with idle knob pulled out or the hot start leaver on .
Once I push the idle switch in the bike will stop straight away ,played around with it but hasn't helped at all.

It's a hard one cause can't leave bike running for two long 9therwise it gets hot just sitting there while trying to play with it

Any help would be great????

Sounds like a gummy or dirty injector. youtube how to clean it's not that hard. Tip is to use a 12" long piece of clear tubing, fill with spray cleaner almost full, and lightly blow into the tube as you apply voltage. (thanks Dan)
...or just buy a new one they're not that expensive

Last edited:
The bike will only run with idle knob pulled out or the hot start leaver on
I dont own a FI bike but have a decent amount of experience with FI on cars, so someone enlighten me here.
Is the idle knob a choke? Which enrichens the mixture?
And doesn't the hot-start lever lean it out?
What is an idle knob?

Idle knob raises lowers idle speed, and doubles as a choke. In rereading, I didn't know efi bikes had a hot start lever. :noidea:the idle speed could just be set too low.

I’m scratching my head over the hot start lever also. But, at least on my KTM, with the idle knob pulled out, it increases idle speed for cold starts. You can also turn it to adjust idle speed. Maybe it is turned too low. :noidea:

Hey

Yeah so when I start the bike with the idle knob pulled out the bike runs fine ,but as soon as I push the idle knob back in the bike dies ,but if i hold down the hot start leaver it will keep running ,might have to take bike to shop to investigate

I'm struggling to sort it out cause I can't leave the bike sitting there running while trying to play around with it cause bike will just start to get hot

might have to take bike to shop to investigate
If you got money by all means go ahead.
But in my experience, you have a wealth of experience right here at your finger tips and could fix it yourself. And on top of that, spending the time to learn about what you have will make you a better bike owner, especially when you have a problem on site, meaning a shop isn't within range or in any way possible to get to when you need to.
If you have to leave the bike running, put a fan in front of the radiators to keep it cooling itself.

@OP - How long have you owned it?
What have you done to it, especially the last thing you did?
Has it ever run correctly?
With EFI it could be a number of things; 02 sensor out of range, TPS out of range, intake air sensor out of range...it helps to know some history. Again, not a bike EFI guy, but the systems are very similar to cars. Basically the ECM takes a reading from the o2 sensor and determines if its rich or lean, and adjusts the pulsewidth for the injector.
Give us some history...and do you have a service manual?

Hey

So it's got a Athena bore kit on it and had a full rebuild done it 1 year ago,I bo8ght the bike and it had been sitting around not getting used for 8 months so I emptied out all the fuel and changed the oil ,when the idle k njob is pulled out the bike actually runs really good ,but once I push it it it dies straight away

Speculating here but,
if you're making it fatter by pulling the idle knob, it probably needs to be fattened up, yes?
Could this be because of the big bore kit?
It would be interesting to see what the O2 sensor is saying.

Did the previous owner ever have it running good? Did you possibly purchase someone else's problem?
As I stated previously I'm not an owner of an FI bike, nor do I have any big bore experience, but it seems to me if you've got a bigger piston you're gonna need more air and fuel.
Does it have stock cams?

Get more air by a larger throttle body?
Get more fuel by either larger injectors, or remapping them to stay open longer?
Do big bore kits require different exhaust?

If it were mine, I wouldn't bring it to a shop, at least not yet, because you would just pay them time to figure out the exact things were trying to figure out here.

Sounds like a fun project though. Definitely need more information.

Just throwing some things out for consideration.

This makes no sense to me:
Choke on runs (adding more fuel than air)
Hot Start on runs (adding more air than fuel)
:noidea:

I'm taking it the hot start is aftermarket since the big bore kit was installed. I'm in for fuel injector needs cleaning and an adjustment on the idle screw

This makes no sense to me:
Choke on runs (adding more fuel than air)
Hot Start on runs (adding more air than fuel)
:noidea:
Yeah I think were all in that boat.
But OP says it runs good when the choke is on. That sorta tells me the injector is okay, no?

Yeah I think were all in that boat.
But OP says it runs good when the choke is on. That sorta tells me the injector is okay, no?
Possible, but if the bike is running with the choke on, it needs more fuel. Could have a dirty injector and it will only run as more fuel is being forced in. Also should go back to standard settings on the air/fuel mixture and start from there.