Amatuer 2013 Vegas To Reno Race Report

I posted this on my blog but figured I would post it here. I have been stupid busy with race season and some other stuff going on around here at the shop. I am going to try and get back on here more often but there is not enough hours in the day.

2013 Best In The Desert Vegas To Reno

Well this weekends Vegas to Reno was eventful to say the least. With the start being in Beatty which is about two hours from the shop race day started about midnight Thursday night. With everything loaded we headed out to the start around 2 o'clock which would put us at the start around 4:00 AM. With staging being at 5:15 AM this was plenty of time to get the bike dialed in and ready for a long day of racing.
Once the bike headed to staging I headed out to my first pit assignment which was pit two. We wanted to get there early so we could get a good spot. Once we arrived to pit 2 we set up our pit so we would be ready for our rider when he arrived. At about 7:00 AM the pro bikes started rolling through our pit. At 7:10 AM our bike came into pit with the lead on corrected time. We fueled the bike up and put a fresh rider on.
After leaving pit 2 we headed to pit 4, on the way we radioed our other support truck and they had told us that our rider crashed and he was hurt. We flipped our radio over to the BITD channel and just then we heard our rider was ok and heading into pit 3. Dalton showed amazing heart and determination to leave the check point he was at after being told he had to wait for medical, and limp the bike into pit three so we could continue in the race. The bike wasn't in to bad of shape at pit 3 so they adjusted the bars and put a fresh rider on. At this time we were about 20 minutes down on time. Dalton was taken to the nearest hospital to get checked out and he was told that he had broken his wrist.
Now that we were down twenty minutes on the leaders we knew we had to make up some time. We were only at mile 100 of a 540 mile race so we knew we had plenty of time to make up the distance. We were able to maintain the gap for the next 6 pit stops. When we rolled into pit 10 we knew this was our chance to make up all the time we had lost early on in the race. Once on the bike at pit 10 the rider would have to ride 100 miles before they could hand the bike off to someone else. Because of this we knew our rider would be stronger and could push to make up time on the other teams.
Pit 10 was going to be a big pit for us. We had planned to do a tire change and an air filter change at this pit so we would have a fresh tire up in the mountains. Once we saw the leader come in and change their filter and tire we decided to change our plan. We were only going to change the tire if it was needed. If the rider getting on was comfortable with the tire we were going to leave it. At this pit we knew exactly where we were with the leaders and we knew we had to take some chances to catch them.
When our bike came in 20 minutes behind the leader we were ready. We had everything ready for a tire change and everything ready for a filter change. Since this was our plan from the start the rider coming in knew he was going to throw the bike on the stand and let us get to work. When the bike came in the tire still looked fresh and we decided that we weren't going to change it. Well that is easier said than done. Our rider came in with plan A in mind. He jumped off and started to pick the bike up to put it on the stand. We were trying to tell him we aren't changing the tire but he has ear plugs in and he was focused on getting the bike on the stand. After a little bit of a struggle he finally heard us and let the bike go. We gassed up and sent the bike out after the leaders.
Heading to pit 11 we knew Aaron was going to make time on the leaders. He was on a mission all day and there was no way the leaders were going to get away from him. As we pulled into pit 11 we got set up and waited. We only had to wait a few minutes for the leader to come in. The lead bike showed up at 2:58 their pit crew told them they're 12 minutes ahead of us and not to worry. We knew we weren't that far behind but we wouldn't know for sure until our bike showed up. Well we didn't have to wait long as our bike showed up at 3:05. You could hear a pin drop in the pits as we know the other team was surprised to see our bike that close behind. We had to do a filter change as the bike was down on power and we were getting into the higher altitude of the race course.

We made a filter change and got the bike back into the race. Aaron was back on the hunt. He gained sometime on the leader when they arrived at the next pit. By then Aaron got into a groove and he was able to pick off the second place rider and get us to within 4 minutes of the leader by pit 13. Once we arrived at pit 13 we knew we had a chance. We had 80 miles to make up 4 minutes and we were ready to put in the work. Unfortunately when the bike was in the pit getting fuel something let go in the motor. We knew that we could no longer challenge for the win and instead of giving a half hearted effort to get to the finish we decided to call it a day.

After pitting for the Watts Racing crew in all of ours FIRST Vegas To Reno, I got to see just how dedicated they are. Everybody on the team has the same thing on their mind. TO WIN at all costs. Dalton could have very easily given up at mile 68, but he sucked up the pain of a broken wrist and rode the bike almost 20 miles to the next pit. The other two riders could have called it a day when we were down by 20 minutes but instead they pushed. They ran a remarkable pace for almost 8 hours. Everybody put in 100 percent and at the end of the day we didn't break. The machine broke, and even though we didn't finish the riders and the pit crew gave it everything they had and at the end of the day that's what matters.

We are taking this as a learning experience and we are going to come back next year with a better game plan and we plan on taking home the hardware. We would like to thank everybody that has helped us along the way it would be impossible to do these things with out your help.

I would like to thank David for prepping an awesome machine and putting together a flawless pit plan. Oh and also running an awesome race. Aaron for running a relentless pace all day that went almost unmatched, and Dalton for not giving up when he was dealt a bad hand and keeping us in the race. To the Watts Family for running awesome pits stops and showing great hospitality when we go to Reno.

It was truly an honor to pit for these guys. They left everything they had out there in the desert. All of this on the one year anniversary of us loosing a very special person to all of us. Tyler Watts, I hope you are proud of what you saw on Friday we pushed to the very end.

We Ride For TY.
Miss you buddy

Fantastic write-up and an outstanding job by both riders and pit crew. Without the pit crews and all of the other behind the scene's support, it just wouldn't happen. Great job on your first of hopefully many more efforts to come:thumb:

I wanted to give a shout out to Anna Cody and Jimmy Roberts (1st place 250 Expert) and Robbie Huber, Greg Johnston, and BJ Stronge (2nd place 250 Expert) and their ASRacing support team :cheers:

Fantastic write-up and an outstanding job by both riders and pit crew. Without the pit crews and all of the other behind the scene's support, it just wouldn't happen. Great job on your first of hopefully many more efforts to come:thumb:

I wanted to give a shout out to Anna Cody and Jimmy Roberts (1st place 250 Expert) and Robbie Huber, Greg Johnston, and BJ Stronge (2nd place 250 Expert) and their ASRacing support team :cheers:

Easy now buddy that is the class we were racing in..... we are 211 :foul:

Easy now buddy that is the class we were racing in..... we are 211 :foul:
Oh shit, sorry bout that. You mentioned Pro bikes coming through the pit so I thought you were racing in the pro class. Kinda funny though:poke:

I ride with Greg, BJ and Robbie and camp a lot with Paul from ASR. He's my motor guy:smirk:

As the pit crew at pit 11. I was never aware of this bike, never even saw them pitting. We were informed we had a 12 min lead over our teammates leaving pit 10. If you guys were this close to bike 208, that is fantastic!!!! Sorry the bike failed on you guys. Our # 2 team also reported that NO ONE passed them between 10 and 11..weird?

As the pit crew at pit 11. I was never aware of this bike, never even saw them pitting. We were informed we had a 12 min lead over our teammates leaving pit 10. If you guys were this close to bike 208, that is fantastic!!!! Sorry the bike failed on you guys. Our # 2 team also reported that NO ONE passed them between 10 and 11..weird?

We didn't pass 213 from 10-11 we passed 213 somewhere between 11-13. I find it hard to believe you did know about us. I believe we pitting right next to you at pit 4, I recognized the truck and some of the people pitting at 11. We were keeping tabs on each other all day.

This is a well written "story"...

so are you saying it is not an accurate account of the race?

we were at pit 5. and then to pit 11. radio contact said that 208 was leading 213 by 12min leaving pit 10. 208 showed up at Gabbs and 8 min later 213 came through. Race report had 213 leading through pit 2. 213 and 208 came in side by side at pit 5... 5 seconds separated them from each other. we stayed at each pit for our iron man to come through. We were never aware of your 211 bike

we were at pit 5. and then to pit 11. radio contact said that 208 was leading 213 by 12min leaving pit 10. 208 showed up at Gabbs and 8 min later 213 came through. Race report had 213 leading through pit 2. 213 and 208 came in side by side at pit 5... 5 seconds separated them from each other. we stayed at each pit for our iron man to come through. We were never aware of your 211 bike

Your race report was a bit flawed then. we had 6 minutes on 208 by pit two and we came in just before 213 at pit 2. We started last in class so we were leading on time. In fact 213 was stopped at the downed rider at mile 52 when our bike showed up. We waited at the down rider until the next rider showed up. Our rider caught 213 before he made it to pit 2. we were leading on time when we left pit two and I believe we were in the physical lead when our rider crashed at 68. I hope this is not true because that means that both 213 and 208 rode past our downed rider with out stopping.

Again I have all the time splits from every pit showing 213 times, 208 times and 211 times.

I know our riders would never ride past a downed rider. again, sorry if we never saw your bike out there. race reports are a funny thing some times. our riders reported no 250's had passed them on the course though and each pit reported the same info.. maybe you guys were just that far out in front that we were not looking for the 250's until our bikes came through. Would have been exciting if you guys hadn't broken down. Lucky you were at a pit though.. We lost our 450 and it took us 3 hours to get to it:)

I know our riders would never ride past a downed rider. again, sorry if we never saw your bike out there. race reports are a funny thing some times. our riders reported no 250's had passed them on the course though and each pit reported the same info.. maybe you guys were just that far out in front that we were not looking for the 250's until our bikes came through. Would have been exciting if you guys hadn't broken down. Lucky you were at a pit though.. We lost our 450 and it took us 3 hours to get to it:)

I take back my original comment our rider just confirmed that 208 did stop and ask if he was ok. Which makes since because I am pretty sure 213 got out of pit 2 before we did so we may have been behind 213 when we suffered the crash. So I apologize for the original comment. I know for a fact your team. Maybe not you in particular but your team knew exactly where we were, on course and on time. We certainly knew where both of your bikes were.

With AS Racing's experience I find it hard to believe that the whole team was not informed about the whereabouts of every bike in their class. At pit 10 208 was 20 minutes ahead of us and they changed a tire and filter. 213 was about 5-7 minutes a head of us and I believe they had the bike on the stand to change the tire and filter as well. When we came in to pit 10 213 was on the stand and I think they aborted the tire change because of that. I am pretty sure they didn't get a filter on and tire before we gassed and left pit 10.

I have sent a facebook message to the team page congratulating them on the win. They are fierce competitors and I hope they run the whole BITD season next year because we plan on participating again and would love to test our skills against theirs. It would be nice to hear back from them so we don't show up to parker and be the only bike in the class.

At the end of the day We got beat because of a bike failure and I think it would have been an exciting finish had we been able to keep the bike in one piece.

very possible that after your crash, we just didn't follow you thinking you guys were down and out...oversight on our part:) never count anyone out!!! Hope your rider is healing fast. We did change a tire at 10 on the 208..we never touched anything on the 213 bike. Everyone had a great time and we look forward to the next one!

Yup Vegas to Reno was a blast!!! I rode for AS Racing on the #213 team and we wound up 2nd on the day.My team mates rode awesome and our chase and pit crews rocked it.Our AS Racing CRF250X ran amazing and can't thank the Team AS Racing and all the ASR crews enough they were awesome!!! Hey Brock first let me say I wish your hurt rider a full speedy recovery.. I was on the bike from the start to pit 2 and about 8-10 miles before pit 2 I stopped for a downed rider to provide protection then after a bit your #211 bike came up and stopped as we were doing a sort of tag team,I explained the situation to your rider and went on(props to your rider in sharing the responsibility helping the downed rider) I then went on in to pit 2 where I was in the lead both physically and on adjusted time and handed the bike to our next rider! I got back on the bike at pit 4 where both our teams came in together 1st and 2nd.I then rode to pit 6 again a few seconds ahead of bike #208 and our next rider hopped on the bike.Chase then brought me to pit 10 and I got on the bike and rode to pit 11 then my team mates took it to the fiinish.Up to pit 11 the #211 bike was never ahead of us.I'm not meaning any disrespect but this is the facts and its always a good idea to let the riders verify where there at.Hopefully we get to race against eachother again and you should come out to so. California and race a D-37 desert race and camp/pit with us I think you'd enjoy it...