2013 RMZ250 CUT OFF

Recently purchased a 2013 low hr rmz250 . Cleaned bike , set up suspension , rode bike about 5 minutes . While practicing turns , bike cut off and will not start back . Checked spark with plug against cylinder , sprayed either , no start. Adjusted valves , checked fuel pump , removed injector and has spray , still no start .Tore top end down, no piston / ring problems , adjusted valves on bench . Have some kind of electrical problem , maybe not enough spark ?

Welcome to DBA David!
Sorry to hear about your problem with your new ride.
I always go back to the basics on a no-start;
Compression, a combustible air/fuel mixture, spark, and spark at the right time are the only things needed for your bike to run.
What did the plug look like? Was it wet? Do you have another to try?
Any chance you have a bad ground or pinched wire somewhere...?

Last edited:
Only thing i have not tried is plug battery in jumper , and kick over . I been racing and building bikes since back in early 1980s at age of 14 . This is first fuel injected bike i have owned. I was an auto tech for 23 years . right now im stumped . Ordering new gaskets and puttin a fresh set rings on while it apart , just because im already there and see no problems . Just put a second gear in our LTZ400 quad . splitting case and rebuild all top end , no problems . will out run most 450 quads . But this 1 got me . Thinking its a condensor or coil not having enough fire to plug .

Still no start, bike together , fresh rings , all valves adjusted . Fuel pressure good , has spark .Will not fire on starting fluid . put 12v to bike with battery , nothing . Unplugged condenser , with battery applied has 12v to condenser. I am guessing that my coil makes spark plug fire but not enough spark,since this is EFI and has high out put spark .

Still no start, bike together , fresh rings , all valves adjusted . Fuel pressure good , has spark .Will not fire on starting fluid . put 12v to bike with battery , nothing . Unplugged condenser , with battery applied has 12v to condenser. I am guessing that my coil makes spark plug fire but not enough spark,since this is EFI and has high out put spark .

Did you try replacing the spark plug boot?

Well talked to someone who ran into this problem a few years back . Told me to check compression and the cams : press on gear or bolt on ?I have 45 psi compression, should be about 80 with decompression cams . He said if there pressed on gears make sure the lobs are lined with the hole in the gears . To my sight the exhaust lobs are half tooth off center . And i know if valves don't open right it will not run . He has found this problem on a few bikes now that the gear has slipped on cam and has driven him crazy . Will check out prices of 1 cam and pair .

I had heard about that too, seems my 04 kx250 has/had that issue. I would have thought they would've figured it out by 2013 though. But I was wandering down that path as well...you're kinda running out of options.