2008 Crf450r Piston and Rings bad?

Hey everybody. Me again. This time i'm wondering how to tell if your Piston and Rings are bad. This is a 2008 Crf450r. Got any answers? Thanks!

I'm wondering, because when I start it up when i want to ride, its a bit choppy when I rev it up. I'm not talk'n when you have it to the bore.

Everything on race bikes is done on time and/ or tolerances.
I replace Pistons and rings about every 40hrs on a 2t and about 50-60 on a 4t.
However, I do the opposite on 4stroke valves. once they are out of spec I replace the valves. I follow no time clock on the valves other than inspect and shim as needed every 15hrs.

SRAD97750

Staff member
how to tell if your Piston and Rings are bad.
The answer to this specific question is a simple leakdown compression test. It requires a tool and air compressor. This will point you in the direction of valves or rings, if there is an out of spec reading.
Aside from this, you can only tell if a piston/ring/cylinder relationship is 'working out' by routine disassembly and inspection. -BIG DAN:thumb:

Everything on race bikes is done on time and/ or tolerances.
I replace Pistons and rings about every 40hrs on a 2t and about 50-60 on a 4t.
However, I do the opposite on 4stroke valves. once they are out of spec I replace the valves. I follow no time clock on the valves other than inspect and shim as needed every 15hrs.
Since you only ride about 1hr per year then your bike only needs a tear down about every 40 years then :wave:

I know this is not same thing, but my father owns a Yamaha Raptor 660r quad. And its valves needed adjusted. We first had a problem when we were going up hills, it would get super choppy and sometimes die on you. So some guy at a quad repair shop said it positively most likely needed the valves adjusted. We actually checked the valves after, and confirmed it. I just figured it was sorta the same. As you probably already found out, I'm not the best when it comes to repairing dirt bikes. The biggest problem I probably ever fixed, is back then when I changed my piston and rings on my 2003 Honda CR85r:noidea:. By the way jackson409...I ride it a LOT more than that:P.

I know this is not same thing, but my father owns a Yamaha Raptor 660r quad. And its valves needed adjusted. We first had a problem when we were going up hills, it would get super choppy and sometimes die on you. So some guy at a quad repair shop said it positively most likely needed the valves adjusted. We actually checked the valves after, and confirmed it. I just figured it was sorta the same. As you probably already found out, I'm not the best when it comes to repairing dirt bikes. The biggest problem I probably ever fixed, is back then when I changed my piston and rings on my 2003 Honda CR85r:noidea:. By the way jackson409...I ride it a LOT more than that:P.

He was making fun of me because I don't ride that much anymore. But I make fun of him because he's half black and 100%GAY!

Ok. But you can count me as a guy who has no idea what you are describing then. It never hurts ti check your valves. If you learn a REALLY simple procedure and buy one REALLY inexpensive tool you will have the first step.
What tool? Do you know what its called?