Other 2008 Crf450r bearing out?

Hello, I have a 2008 Crf450r, it overheated around 3 times then it stopped working. We drained the oil and found metal all over in it. It'll start but then it squealed, so we figured it was the crank bearings. Idk what it really is. ????

Thanks, Kyler

SRAD97750

Staff member
Hi!
With a large amount of metal in the oil sump, I would be tearing down the motor to find out what gives.
Disassembly is always free, and usually a good time. Inspect everything for damage caused by metal in the lubrication system.
Post up some photos of what you find! -BIG DAN:thumb:

Hi!
With a large amount of metal in the oil sump, I would be tearing down the motor to find out what gives.
Disassembly is always free, and usually a good time. Inspect everything for damage caused by metal in the lubrication system.
Post up some photos of what you find! -BIG DAN:thumb:
its the part after disassembly where you go online or to shop and tell them what all you need that I'm not a big fan of

If you were just an average dude like me, about how hard and long would it take to replace the crankshaft bearings or assembly if thats what it was?

Well I'm an above average dude so it doesn't take me too long. Important thing is to do it right not fast. Do it wrong an you'll be doing it twice. take twice as long and cost twice as much. Do you have a manual?

Get the manual, if you have ever worked on anything mechanical, know how to follow directions, have 4-5 specialty tools and all the standards to maintain the bike, an "average guy" will take "average time" to complete a "average job". Hardest part will be pulling that damn engine from the frame, and then putting it back in. At least my sons 05 was a PITA to do, but there is some good videos on youTube that show the magic.

If you were just an average dude like me, about how hard and long would it take to replace the crankshaft bearings or assembly if thats what it was?

If you can read a manual and have a basic understanding of mechanics or how things work then you can rebuild this motor from scratch. The most important tool is the Honda shop manual. You can do this and we can walk you through the questions and part of the rebuild. Like everyone else said, "take your time and dont skimp on parts".

If the engine is making the noise you spoke of....I would suggest you lost oil pressure and fried the cam bearing and journal. The major parts of these shavings will be non magnetic. The most likely cause is a plugged up oil filter screen in the bottom of the stator portion of the engine case where the oil pick up is located. Or installing the oil filter back words, which happens a lot.

Paw Paw