250F 2007 Crf250r wont kick start once its warm?

I recently bought a 2007 crf250r and it started right up and ran great when I was looking at it, but now I have it back at home and after it gets warm and you turn it off it doesn't want to kick start so I have to bump start it every time I turn it off. Its starts first or second kick when cold and runs great otherwise, just doesn't want to kick start once it is warm. What could this mean?

Leaning towards the valves being the issue. Higher engine temp closing the clearance up. check them and rule in/out. Might as well get used to checking them anyhow. Protect your investment.
Welcome to the forum!

I'm gonna go with float height for 100.
Its starts first or second kick when cold and runs great otherwise, just doesn't want to kick start once it is warm.
Just my .02 (and I am no genius, and still learning myself)
So when an engine is cold, it needs a bit more fuel to start (choke= less air, more fuel) and it sounds like you have this.
But when the engine is hot, it doesn't need this extra fuel to start...so is it getting this extra fuel anyway?
What does your plug say?
I'm guessing you're running rich, and a carb adjustment is all you need.

Last edited:
Here's what I know.....
if it won't start cold it's a valve issue.
If it won't start warm it's a carb issue.
I also know that if the exhaust valve is out of spec it will not start warm either.
It's at this point where you might consider getting an owners manual, some feeler gauges and a shim kit, but don't let that stop you from trying everything else like tightening seat bolts and cleaning the air filter.

Here's what I know.....
if it won't start cold it's a valve issue.
If it won't start warm it's a carb issue.
I also know that if the exhaust valve is out of spec it will not start warm either.
It's at this point where you might consider getting an owners manual, some feeler gauges and a shim kit, but don't let that stop you from trying everything else like tightening seat bolts and cleaning the air filter.

I'd say the next step is throwing on a sic set of graphics.