450F 2005 CRF450R Clutch Problems

I have a 2005 CRF450R and it seems to be having some clutch issues. Earlier this riding season it seemed to be good and not causing any issues when both cold and warmed up. Not until 2 rides ago, after the bike was warmed up and hot, I noticed when I tried coming up to a stop that it was REALLY hard to shift my bike into neutral. I thought that maybe because of hitting jumps and riding, the adjustment point down by the clutch cover had come loose and my clutch was just out of adjustment. I tried playing around with it and could not get it back to normal. After about an hour and a half of resting, it seemed to be ok again. I tried taking my bike out today and sure enough it was good off the get go but after about 20 minutes it did the same thing and I cannot shift it into neutral and then when I loosen it, it slowly creeps forward and eventually stalls. I’ve tried adjusting it and tweaking it according to what other people say to do online and I just can’t seem to get it and I don’t have much experience at all with clutches. Does anybody have any tips or clues on what I should do? Possibly a new clutch? I don’t even know the position that the adjustment by the clutch cover should even be in. If the nut should be backed off and loose or actually snuggled up a bit. Any bit of help would be greatly appreciated

SRAD97750

Staff member
Welcome,
With a properly working clutch system, you should be able to adjust the clutch cable tighter and tighter, until the clutch never engages in gear, no matter the lever position. (feels like neutral)
Then loosen it from there until you can get some engagement, then minor loosening adjustments from there will sort out any 'on-power' slips.
-BIG DAN:thumb:

I just don’t understand what you mean by never engages. Like if I go all the way tight, then I can’t even put it into gear at all. I just don’t understand where my adjustment should be on both the lever and the adjustment by the clutch cover.

SRAD97750

Staff member
Like if I go all the way tight, then I can’t even put it into gear at all.
You're getting it, that's my first step. It's going into gear, but the clutch is too tight at this point and not engaging it.

Now, put it in gear, idling, and loosen the cable at either the perch or side cover until it stalls.
You're very close at this point. A little more loosening will be required if you feel it slip once you ride it.
-BIG DAN:thumb:

Oh I guess one last thing. Is it possible to just do all my adjustments at the perch and not at the side cover. Like if I could just loosen off the nut and back it all the way off at the side cover and then tighten it all the way at the perch and then play with it from there? Or do I have to adjust at both?

Running an incorrect oil can cause this.
Bad steel disk can cause this.
A worn (notched)clutch basket or hub can cause this.

Paw Paw

I got some pictures of what my clutch looks at but I’m not able to upload them. Am o able to email them to anybody and get an opinion?

I got some pictures of what my clutch looks at but I’m not able to upload them. Am o able to email them to anybody and get an opinion?
You can email them to yourself.......in a smaller size. Then upload the small version to the site.

Sons bike did this. The clutch gear was off by just enough to be the problem. Once I figured it out I pressed the gear back in and it was all good for the next year or so of ownership.