2003 rm 125 flywheel/stator removal problems

I'm new in here and to posting in forums in general, so my apologies to a long post, but hell more info is better than not enough.
I had a stator replaced and the bike was only rode for about a half hour and wouldn't start again (no spark) bought a new plug, new ignition coil still no luck on the spark. So I took the readings from the stator with a digital multimeter which aren't really up as high as they should be, but the company I bought it from said they would replace it if I would send it back and pay shipping on the new ($15) sweet, even though the warranty ran up :thumb: nice. But now I'm having problems removing the nut holding on the flywheel...I've tried just about everything I know of with out an impact gun, I've locked up the back wheel..... can't do the penny trick because in order to get the clutch basket off I need an impact gun.
So if anyone has any suggestions or knows anything that could help me out it would greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Buy a Cordless Impact gun, your gonna need one later anyways, and with an electric cordless you don't need an air compressor. Dewalt, Craftsman are a couple of tool companies that sell them.

I have looked into the electric ones, I was just always a little skeptical on them: performance of them compared to air, durability, etc.

To do the penny trick, you have to get behind the clutch

I have looked into the electric ones, I was just always a little skeptical on them: performance of them compared to air, durability, etc.

To do the penny trick, you have to get behind the clutch
I've owned snap on and dewalt cordless and both were great, the dewalt is 3/8" 18 volt and will pull lug nuts off all 4 wheels on a truck. very handy and more than you need for a bike.

Oh ok, I'll have to look on craigslist or a couple local flea markets since the weather is starting to get nice around here and see if I can't pick one up thats nice, fairly cheap or hell even pick one up at a store. Either way, can't never go wrong adding more tools to the collection.haha
Thanks for the feedback too.

impact gun is your best bet. or heat . I had similar problems recently if u want to have a look at the tread (urgent help) best of luck. #2tforever

WOW Steve, we need to get together and I can let you hopup my Dewalt 18 volt!! Mine is good as far as I am concerned, but I dont think it will take off any of my flywheel bolts. I have air wrenches up to 1" drives so I manage to get them off. The best bet maybe a 120 volt like you get at sears. My old one knocks the lugnuts off any of my daily drivers, takes the axle nuts off the Rockwell and Spicer 22 though pound axles on my tankers.

If you have one of those strap wrenches or the chain variety you may find you get a positive hold (around the rotor) that will allow you to take that off with a socket or a boxed end wrench. Using a screwdriver handle (larger the better) at the rear sprocket and chain will do about as well as the "penny" does. FYI the screwdriver will work fine where the penny does too. Once you have it secure you can strike the handle of the wrench if you need a shaper impact to break the bolt loose.

Ok thanks, I'll have to give it a shot. Because I'm running out of options besides an impact. I was also told that I have to go the opposite way than I would normally have to go to loosen it too? But looking at the little bit of threads I can see it doesn't look to be the case.

I have had pretty good luck when I needed to lock the thing up by going to the sprocket. a large screwdriver wont get dragged into the chain as much and won't damage anything. The strap wrench works great too. Impact is the fastest and easiest and my first grab in the shop. But I have sure taken a lot of them off by smacking a boxed end wrench with a piece of pipe too.

Last edited:
I don't have a strap wrench but I'll try the screwdriver in the sprocket, I'm just trying to get options with out taking it somewhere specially with not having anything to haul it around.
Thanks for the help and advice

yea I'm trying not to. but yea that's one thing I do have, auto parts store a couple min from the house had one for like 10 bucks

its not its an atv/bike flywheel puller they had different sizes so i bought a few to check sizes and took the ones back that didnt fit