150F/230F 2003 CRF230F won't start

So... My bike sat for about a month. I was going to change the oil but I can't get it started. There is no kick start so that sucks. When I try to start it, it makes the correct noises for the first few tries, then sounds like just a click or a half butt attempt. The side where the battery is got pretty warm so I quit trying. It's been on the trickle charger pretty much the whole time.
Could it be the starter? Battery? something crazy like an alien? the float?

Any help is greatly appreciated! I don't want to take the whole engine apart to find out it was something simple.

Thanks!!

sounds like a bad connection or tired out battery. trickle chargers are NOT the thing to leave them on. They can sulfate pretty fast. what is called a 'maintainer' is the best if you have to leave it. you may also have plugged up the low speed jet and circuit, but I would try a jump start and maybe some fuel down the spark plug hole along with that.

ossagp, I was thinking about trying that with the spark plug. How would I jumpstart it? I'm pretty alone in my dirt bike journey and don't have anyone to teach me. I'm picking things up as I go along, reading manuals and such. I'm about to have surgery (had a wicked wreck a few months back) so I want to get it going before hand and sell it, instead of continuing to let it sit.

sounds like a bad connection or tired out battery. trickle chargers are NOT the thing to leave them on. They can sulfate pretty fast. what is called a 'maintainer' is the best if you have to leave it. you may also have plugged up the low speed jet and circuit, but I would try a jump start and maybe some fuel down the spark plug hole along with that.

Yeah don't leave your battery on charge for a month:doh:
I can't say I have a lot of experience with this. If I did I wouldn't be asking. Thanks for the advice, help and understanding.

some of them you can get jumper cables like for a car on the battery terminals, however on a lot of motorcycle batteries its too confined, what you could do is find a hill or some friends to push you up to a decent speed and then put the bike in 2nd/3rd and let the clutch out.
ossagp, I was thinking about trying that with the spark plug. How would I jumpstart it? I'm pretty alone in my dirt bike journey and don't have anyone to teach me. I'm picking things up as I go along, reading manuals and such. I'm about to have surgery (had a wicked wreck a few months back) so I want to get it going before hand and sell it, instead of continuing to let it sit.

I can't say I have a lot of experience with this. If I did I wouldn't be asking. Thanks for the advice, help and understanding.

I have an 06 230 and it's on 2nd battery. You need a new one and you will be fine. A trickle charge is ok for many months, they shut off when batt is at 13v or around. Unless it's a chineese piece of poop. Sorry for your surgery, God speed recovery.
Oops my bad, charge on!:thumb:

on my Klr I use a set of the same kind of clips that you find on small battery chargers. I don't have the same luck that Palmer does with trickle chargers or low amp settings on a larger charger fyi. When I find a trashed trickle charger I use some number 10 wire to make a set of 6 foot jumpers and my sabre, goldwings, or the klr can be jumped from a car. A new battery is a good sales point though.

FYI lowes sells the alligator clips and the wire if you don't want to rob a working charger.

I thought that the newer type of chargers (like the Battery Tender) are "smart" chargers. They are supposed to work the way Palmer described. I've had batteries hooked up to my Battery Tender for several months during various injury time outs with no problems.
Anyway, batteries don't last forever, no matter how well they are taken care of. NoStop, maybe your battery's time was just up. I second the Walmart suggestion. :thumb:

Hey kid!
What's the surgery for?
When you getting back on the bike?
You need a battery, bust a basic one from Walmart will sell that puppy.
Surgery is for 2 broken metatarsals and sesamoid in the left foot, torn labrum Left shoulder, sub scapulars tare Left shoulder, and going to go ahead and make sure I don't get a bunion by doing that surgery while they are in the foot.
Gnarly wreck, even broke my collar bone for the first time. They think I might have/had a concussion too. I just don't remember anything except for the bike going right, me going left, and seeing a bunch of trees lol. Then I had 4 or 5 guys around me and all I could say was "Where's my bike?!" They didn't like that answer at first. I still rode for a bit after. Gotta go all the way until the pain kicks in! I'm still saddened that I ripped my favorite jersey almost in half.

Looks like I'm going to go get a battery, Took it up to Auto Zone, they checked it and said it wouldn't even hold a recharge. Glad it's something easy at this point...

I'm probably just going to sell this one so it doesn't sit around longer. Save the money and when I'm ready just buy another. You know how it is... There are always bikes out there!

Surgery is for 2 broken metatarsals and sesamoid in the left foot, torn labrum Left shoulder, sub scapulars tare Left shoulder, and going to go ahead and make sure I don't get a bunion by doing that surgery while they are in the foot.
Gnarly wreck, even broke my collar bone for the first time. They think I might have/had a concussion too. I just don't remember anything except for the bike going right, me going left, and seeing a bunch of trees lol. Then I had 4 or 5 guys around me and all I could say was "Where's my bike?!" They didn't like that answer at first. I still rode for a bit after. Gotta go all the way until the pain kicks in! I'm still saddened that I ripped my favorite jersey almost in half.

Looks like I'm going to go get a battery, Took it up to Auto Zone, they checked it and said it wouldn't even hold a recharge. Glad it's something easy at this point...

I'm probably just going to sell this one so it doesn't sit around longer. Save the money and when I'm ready just buy another. You know how it is... There are always bikes out there!

Well heal up soon and we look forward to helping you find a new bike. :thumb::ride:

Come back if it still doesn't start.