Other 2000 XR200R Rings

I recently bought a 2000 XR200R. I never thought of this while buying it but when I was testing it, it was smoking like crazy (it's four stroke) and there was a lack of power for a 200cc engine. When I got home, I drove it to a trail and thats when it died. First, it wouldn't shift back into first so I pulled it off to the side and that's when it died. It wouldn't start back up and compression seemed little to none. Is this a problem with the piston rings or something else?

SRAD97750

Staff member
I would perform a Compression test or a Leakdown test (preffered). This will tell you the general condition of the sealing components.
Next I would clean the carburetor and try again. -BIG DAN:thumb:

Sorry to hear you bought a bike and then it crapped out on you, that sucks.
Get a compression test done first, like Big Dan mentioned. It's easy to do and will give you a real quick assessment of your engine condition.
I have a 95 XR200 that I love, love, love. It's super reliable, and is perfect for light off-roading.
I am sure we can help you get yours back into shape.
But get that compression number and get back to us.

Sorry to hear you bought a bike and then it crapped out on you, that sucks.
Get a compression test done first, like Big Dan mentioned. It's easy to do and will give you a real quick assessment of your engine condition.
I have a 95 XR200 that I love, love, love. It's super reliable, and is perfect for light off-roading.
I am sure we can help you get yours back into shape.
But get that compression number and get back to us.
It was reading around 85-93psi

According to the service manual I have (86-02) cylinder compression should be 199psi, so I'd say the ton of smoke you saw makes sense, and that you're probably looking at a fairly decent repair job.
Do you have the skills/knowledge/experience & tools to do something like this?

Last edited:
According to the service manual I have (86-02) cylinder compression should be 199psi, so I'd say the ton of smoke you saw makes sense, and that you're probably looking at a fairly decent repair job.
Do you have the skills/knowledge/experience & tools to do something like this?
Yeah I have all of the tools and I have worked on cars and a little on motorcycles. My brother has pretty good knowledge of motorcycles.

Okay. I have the factory manual for your bike in pdf if you need it, and just started a Dropbox acct courtesy of Big Dan, and could probably put it there for you to download if you dont have it. You will need it.
It sounds like you have what you need to do the work, and I dont know what you're weather there in NC is like but I'm guessing you also have the time.
I'm no motorcycle expert but have a decent knowledge of Otto 4 stroke engines and am guessing that you're probably going to end up removing the top part of the engine at some point, at least the cylinder head.
I am sure some others here with more experience than I will respond with more detailed info.

Yeah I have all of the tools and I have worked on cars and a little on motorcycles. My brother has pretty good knowledge of motorcycles.

Welcome!!! Sorry your bike crapped out but get a service manual ASAP!!! It will help you 100% and probably the most valuable tool you'll buy!

Welcome!!! Sorry your bike crapped out but get a service manual ASAP!!! It will help you 100% and probably the most valuable tool you'll buy!
I did buy a manual at a Barnes and Noble and it helped me get cam shaft header or whatever it is called off. Once I get to the piston, what should I do?

SRAD97750

Staff member
I did buy a manual at a Barnes and Noble and it helped me get cam shaft header or whatever it is called off. Once I get to the piston, what should I do?
The manual will show you how to measure and spec out the engine. Each spec is important. Measurement tools will be required. Let us know what you're up to! -BIG DAN:thumb:

I am still learning and messing with the Dropbox thing, so I believe the link below will allow you to VIEW the factory service manual I have uploaded, but not sure if you will be able to download it.
If you didn't buy the same manual below at Barnes and Noble (I'm guessing you got a Haynes or some other) then I would recommend you check out what I uploaded. Let me know if you have any problems with it.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zoy4uxm53n9o1v6/Honda XR200R 86 -02 Service Manual.pdf?dl=0
Edit: you'll probably have to create a dropbox account to download it.

Oh shit, you're already way deep into this, lol.
Have the cylinder, head, valves, and valve guides checked out next. And check out the dropbox link for the Honda service manual I sent.
At this point I am going to guess that the senior members here are going to recommend splitting the cases and going for a full-on inspection of the lower end, and since it's already sitting on the bench, I cant disagree with that thought...

Last edited: