2 strokes idling

Why does everyone seem so anal about their 2 strokes idling? When i warm mine up i let it idle and even if its warm i let it idle if im watin for someone to catch up. And my sled idles even longer!! Whats the big deal?

that is from racing. I was taught this in the late 60's by my dad. If you fall you want the bike to die after a few seconds so you dont get chewed up by the chain, tire, etc.

It's not good to let 2 strokes idle much as they tend to then collect unburnt fuel mix in the crank cavity and then foul the plug when you do twist the throttle. These engines need the rpms to keep this from becoming a problem. The extra speed of the fuel mix above idle by reving the engine helps to keep it cleaned out. I never set a 2 stroke so it will idle as I want it to rev or not run rather than collect the excess fuel mix in the crank case.

Paw Paw

there are lots of stories about idling two strokes. I think the only reason that I set mine to die when the throttle was off, was due mostly to thinking I got more braking from the engine