1st Gear Too Fast

I just bought an 04 Honda CRF450R. 1st gear is really too fast for me so should I consider a larger sprocket to slow things down? I love the bike but low end speed is just too fast.
Thanks,
442Man

I just bought an 04 Honda CRF450R. 1st gear is really too fast for me so should I consider a larger sprocket to slow things down? I love the bike but low end speed is just too fast.
Thanks,
442Man
Bump the front down by 1 tooth, then see how you like it.

Thanks,
442Man
What is the gearing now? I believe the stock gearing is 13/48, so dropping lower in the front might not be an option, you will need to go larger in the rear to maybe a 51 or 52.

What is the gearing now? I believe the stock gearing is 13/48, so dropping lower in the front might not be an option, you will need to go larger in the rear to maybe a 51 or 52.

The bike is stock. I'm thinking the X might have been better but this one was such a good deal and in great condition I couldn't pass it up. A Honda dealer tech suggested going up 3 sizes on the rear sprocket but I wanted second opinions.

SRAD97750

Staff member
I suggest going up in the rear.
IMO
changing the front sprocket affects engine characteristics more (slow/speed the hit)
changing the rear sprocket affects speed more (Min/Max Speed)
-BIG DAN:thumb:

IMO
changing the front sprocket affects engine characteristics more (slow/speed the hit)

I have often thought the same thing.... I have never once swapped out front sprockets in my entire 37yr motorcycle riding career.

IMO

Would there be any negative effect going with a larger sprocket? This thing has explosive power and I wondered if it might be hard to keep the front wheel somewhat on the ground.

It's a 450. Built for torque and to kill the 250 2stroke on the motocross track.. Its basically a cr500 with intake and exhaust valves. A larger rear sprocket will increase the amount of power to the ground but has a slower top speed.
If you like the torque of the modern 4t but find the power of the 450 too much for the trail try one of the 250 4Ts or one of the 250 2stroke trail bikes like the huseberg. Good luck :thumb:

I'm 6'5" and this size fits me well. I am older though...a young 61.. I like the power but want to do some slower trail riding.
I see, its not too much power, just needs moved around. A little confused there, if gearing doesn't work, sometimes a new pipe will. I feel as if these other guys answered your questions. Welcome and stick around :thumb: Post up some pictures of your bike

Well it sounds like a 51 in the rear will be the trick. One thing you will find out is that you can short shift these 450s. You do not need to rev them but use the torque to get you where you need to go.