125 1999 kx125

I have a 1999 Kx 125 it's a good running bike just needs a little work. I was wondering if it would be worth putting a couple hundred into it to fix it up and make it look great and run better. I'm still trying to decide whether I should try and sell it or put the money into and keep it. Any suggestions would help im just trying to see what other people think!

I have a 1999 Kx 125 it's a good running bike just needs a little work. I was wondering if it would be worth putting a couple hundred into it to fix it up and make it look great and run better. I'm still trying to decide whether I should try and sell it or put the money into and keep it. Any suggestions would help im just trying to see what other people think!

I've got a 99 KX125 in my garage also.....I refer to it as the green turd. However it has been very dependable and a great bike for one of my daughters, she can ride the crap out of that thing, and keep up with my other daughter on her 99 kx 250. I've been amazed where she's been able to take the turd. So I guess my answer would be it's hard to go wrong as it should continue to be a great dependable trail/ play bike that should be worth a few hundred Bucks investment.

Not only do I want to fix my bike up I have a few issues with it running. It has a slight bogg in 1st and 2nd gear when I come out of a turn it doesn't get its full Rpms right away like it should. The throttle response is poor. I plan on rejetting it to see if that solves the problem. Also as of today it started cutting out at about 3/4 to full throttle and I'm not sure what's causing that. Any suggestions would help please give me some input.

Yup....clean the carb and clean it good. And when you are in there cleaning the carb. Check and set your float level, if your bog is only coming out of a corner it could be too little fuel in the float bowl and when it sloshes to the side of the bowl, it causes a lean condition. One thing to check, when idling if you do a full throttle snap, does it bog? if so I would first adjust the air screw on the side of the carb. Go 1/2 turn and recheck repeat, if need be repeat. If you remove your car to clean/service/jet it, remember to check your reeds for cracks, and chips.

3/4 to full throttle would be the main jet, at least as far as the jets go.

If you like the bike and its just for fun, deff save your money and pour some money into the old bike, although I can certainly understand the allure of a brand new bike.

It just started cutting out yesterday and there was never a problem with that. The only problem I ever had was a bogg and that only affects me coming out of corners and I figured it needed to be rejetted. I found out that my pilot jet was too big than what the bike calls for so that's what I figured was the problem with the bogging. But with it cutting out im not sure what that would be. It cuts out in all gears about 3/4 throttle. I have lost so much power with it cutting out and I thought maybe my spark plug went bad because it has had a little trouble starting all of a sudden recently. Any suggestions would help.

Does it run better or worse with the choke on? You could have a plug issue but usually a plug goes from questionable to no good in a very short time....I'd still pull the carb and clean it thoughly also it wouldn't hurt to do a compression test to see if it might be time for a fresh top end. But if you have a partially plugged main jet this would cause your high end big.

It runs worse with the choke on and I've cleaned the carborator several times. I haven't tried a compression test and I don't believe I have enough compression with the bike because it's almost way to easy to kick it. But that's never been a problem before. Until just yesterday it had some trouble starting and it began cutting out.

It runs worse with the choke on and I've cleaned the carborator several times. I haven't tried a compression test and I don't believe I have enough compression with the bike because it's almost way to easy to kick it. But that's never been a problem before. Until just yesterday it had some trouble starting and it began cutting out.

Getting a tired engine to run well can be problematic, may need to do the top end if that's what it needs first, then if need be tune the engine to run like it should.

Float levels typically rise over time. (when you look at the way they are made it is virtually impossible for them to get lower.) after awhile your bike gets so rich that it starts missing. so clean things up, especially the float needle and seat. compressed air blown back up the seat of the float needle is a good idea. then reset it. if you don't the trip inside the carburetor was wasted.

You talked about suspecting your spark plug was bad, so I assume you had it out and inspected it. Did the plug look dark gray or black? was it wet? or was it light gray or white and dry? FYI your spark plug is one of the best indicators of what your engine is doing. Asking for advice without telling what you see on your sparkplug makes it hard for some of us to do much more than guess.

I pulled my spark plug out and it's black and has some build up around the edge of it. So I was gonna try a brand new spark plug that's the same kind and see how that works and see if it makes it quit cutting out at 3/4 throttle.

I pulled my spark plug out and it's black and has some build up around the edge of it. So I was gonna try a brand new spark plug that's the same kind and see how that works and see if it makes it quit cutting out at 3/4 throttle.

In this case I would say the plug is an indicator and not the cause, from your description of the plug it is over fueling and if changing the plug makes it run better at 3/4 throttle, it means your motor is probably anywhere from ok to decent and you still need to go thru the carb and adjust the float, and put the main jet at where the chart suggests with your temperature, and elevation. If however the plug doesn't change the way it runs at all, you need to look at the motor and do a compression test.....actually I would do that either way at this point....also if you could post pictures of that spark plug you pulled out that may be helpful to us also.