1997 RM 250 clutch rattle...need help

Hey everyone,

My Rm 250 has a rattle on the clutch side at idle. It get louder when I engage it. I put it in gear and it kinda goes away but I don't want to run it if it's going ot further damage it. Please let me know if you have experienced this. Thanks

SRAD97750

Staff member
Hey everyone,

My Rm 250 has a rattle on the clutch side at idle. It get louder when I engage it. I put it in gear and it kinda goes away but I don't want to run it if it's going ot further damage it. Please let me know if you have experienced this. Thanks
From my experience, noise that wasn't there before and the noise changes with 'manual actuation,' requires some further inspection.
I would pull the cover and see what's going on. -BIG DAN:thumb:

Crank bearing when engaging clutch? I would hope it's not that. I was hoping not to go that deep. I'll have to cross my fingers.

Yeah. As soon as you engage the trans it puts pressure on the crank drive gear changing the sound of the crank bearing fooling you into believing it got quieter.

Splitting the cases is is easy. Rmatv will have a video on it.

Last edited:
Hey everyone,

It might be a help if we are all in agreement here of what the defintion of "engage" or "engaged" is: The clutch is said to be engaged when it is transmitting power to the mainshaft of the transmission. So in the case of most dirt bikes with a handlebar control that would mean when the lever is in the released mode. Now, again tell us when the noise is the most obvious, please.

When the clutch is pulled in, you hear a loud rattle noise....when in neutral. When u let it out...It's a little quieter..when in neutral.

So "disengaged". that gives me hope that you will find the noise under the clutch cover. if you put it on the stand and let the clutch out and let the rear wheel spin do you still hear it at all?

clatters or what i call a clatter can sometimes come from a clutch that has a lot of play in the "lands" that contact the friction plates. some call it "notching". in severe cases it leads to the land breaking away from the base of the basket and the large piece(s) can cause some severe damage. there are companies who machine the basket to take the notches out, and those who file their own. that can make the clutch action acceptable, but if inserts arent put in to take up the space you get lots of noise. the filing or milling still leaves the breakage threat. so my guess is the outer cover is off yours soon!!

clutch basket costs way more than bearings. but you can at least see where you stand. bad thing is if you buy or have the basket fixed and it still makes that noise you feel robbed. if you have to split the cases make sure you replace anything to do with the water pump.