2 Stroke 1989 MX125 KTM NEED HELP

I am attempting to rebuild this bike as I got it for free, any tips, pointers, ideas where to get parts, and where to start? I got the bike for free, so I figure it will be cheaper than buying a newer bike. And it will be fun to learn on.

Thanks,
-N

Attachments

• photo (3).JPG
    photo (3).JPG
    322 KB · Views: 32

James

Staff member
I got the bike for free, so I figure it will be cheaper than buying a newer bike.
That's actually debatable, especially after seeing what's all missing from that bike. I'd suggest you grab a notepad and write down everything that's missing and post that list on here. Also what are the conditions inside the engine, will it need a new top/bottom end etc.?

BTW what's your budget on this rebuild?

Well all the plastics are in a box in my garage, i took them off when i started cleaning it up. I think the engine is in good shape, but i don't know that for sure. I do know it needs a new carburetor and the shocks all need to be replaced and obviously the chain needs replaced and new tires. But most of my experience with bikes is working with street bikes and mainly cosmetic upgrades. The most I ever got into those bikes was changing plugs and filters and changing the oil. I would like to keep it under 1,000.00. If I can do that, then I could potentially sell it later for at least some profit and upgrade to a newer bike. There are a couple of kids that race for KTM that are neighbors to my parents and I took the bike to their dad when I first got it, and he said they could completely rebuild everything on it for about $800.00 but at the time I had no money so it was a no go, but now I have the money and I want to learn about all the different pieces and parts but I need help and I need guidance! :)

James

Staff member
I think the engine is in good shape, but i don't know that for sure. I do know it needs a new carburetor and the shocks all need to be replaced and obviously the chain needs replaced and new tires.
If that's all true then I'm very confident that you're already over $1000. :(
If I can do that, then I could potentially sell it later for at least some profit and upgrade to a newer bike.
Since you currently have $0 in the bike I'd try to sell it for a couple hundred (instant profit), take that money along with the other $1000 and buy something in better shape. Trust me and the others, this bike will be a money pit. There are a lot of deals to be had in the $1000-2000 range if you look hard enough. For example a year ago I picked up my 08 KX250f for $2000 and about the only thing it needed was a clutch lever.

Very nice! I may have to do that, but I don't know who would want to buy this thing, I wouldn't even know where to start other than craigslist I guess, but I just feel like it would be pretty hard to get a buyer for this thing. But I definitely appreciate the info!

James

Staff member
Very nice! I may have to do that, but I don't know who would want to buy this thing, I wouldn't even know where to start other than craigslist I guess, but I just feel like it would be pretty hard to get a buyer for this thing. But I definitely appreciate the info!
At least put it on Craigslist for "Make Offer" and if somebody offers $100-200 for it I'd probably sell it.

Parting a bike out could make you some cash, but could be a pain to ship parts as well. May not be worth the effort.

SRAD97750

Staff member
Pre 1994 KTM parts have been discontinued and are not stocked by anyone except vintage dealerships. Those dealerships still paying for electricity, climate controlling, inventory control, and shipping for 20 years of old crap, they charge you an arm and a leg.
Parting it out yourself means you have to do the same...

I suggest selling it whole, as a parts bike, and using the cash on something that you can source parts more easily.
Flipping like that from something free can lead to big deals in the future. -BIG DAN:thumb: