2 Stroke 1989 CR250R Cosmetics

Hey guys, I figured I'd move this question here rather than being in my new member thread.

I just picked up this 1989 CR250R on a trade and I'll be cleaning it up and restoring it somewhat over the winter.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444660566.722572.jpg
(Don't worry, she's on a stand now, this was right after unloading it off the truck lol.)

So anyways, I was wondering about possibly updating the plastics/seat, wondering if this may be an option. Does anyone know if the seat and plastics from a 91-92 would bolt on this? I'm kind of leaning towards probably not after looking at the gas tank design, but I figured I'd ask the experts since I am new to dirt bikes. Any help appreciated, thanks!!

Nice bike! From personal experience older bikes are difficult to get good parts for. You can make your own seat cover. Most likely the parts will not fit, but you can look around for different colored plastics.

Thanks man! I ended up ordering a graphics kit for a CR500, after looking and comparing for a while, the plastics look about 90% the same, so since swapping plastic wasn't really much of an option, I just pulled it all apart today and cleaned it all up real good, repainted the worn number plates a fresh white, and graphics will be here Friday. I think the graphics, along with new grips and handlebar pad in red/black/white with some numbers on there will spruce it up enough for me...for now!

Have you tried to remove the tank shrouds from your tank yet for any reason? If you have already, how were the bolts coming out?
If you haven't yet then if they're in good shape then leave them alone as the brass insert captive nuts in the tank often spin when you try to remove them causing severe headaches!
You been warned! ;-)
On a side note I went to see a buddy at his shop and look what was lying around outside!:ride::ride::thumb::thumb::thumb:
IMG_20151020_160656.jpg
IMG_20151020_160507.jpg
I got offered the ready for the road 83 xr250 for £850 and tbh if I had it i'd have had it!
@JimYZ250 you fancy it Jim?
The guy who owns it is up and down from England with his son Ross Rutherford racing some fancy kxf's with a race van so delivery wouldn't be a biggie!

Have you tried to remove the tank shrouds from your tank yet for any reason? If you have already, how were the bolts coming out?
If you haven't yet then if they're in good shape then leave them alone as the brass insert captive nuts in the tank often spin when you try to remove them causing severe headaches!
You been warned! ;-)
On a side note I went to see a buddy at his shop and look what was lying around outside!:ride::ride::thumb::thumb::thumb:
View attachment 27504
View attachment 27505
I got offered the ready for the road 83 xr250 for £850 and tbh if I had it i'd have had it!
The guy who owns it is up and down from England with his son Ross Rutherford racing some fancy kxf's with a race van so delivery wouldn't be a biggie!

Awesome pics!
I used to own an 84 xr250 twin carb, was a nightmare to balance so I flogged it but wish I kept it. If I had the money I might have been interested haha. Got no dollar for a long time now and need to survive on scraps in America next month!!

All the best bro :wink:

You been warned! ;-)
View attachment 27504
View attachment 27505

I actually was able to remove the tank shrouds without any issues, the hardware was a little stuck on the bottom two, but they came free without too much trouble. That's a pretty nice collection there, I'd love to get my hands on the black seat on number 71 [emoji16].

i bought a set of cases from a 650L with the crank and most of the ignition but no starter. this one is a low timer that I am cutting up to make a street tracker. I had a c and j swing arm and some extra barnes wheels so she gets a low pipe and 19 inch wheels. it will be very red!

I realized I never even updated the thread with a current picture. Here is how she sits now...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447531719.628159.jpg

Over the winter I'm planning on getting a new seat cover, I'm thinking about going with black. I'll also be getting some newer, more reliable tires, a fat set of handlebars, maybe a UFO front fender since mine is a bit worn. This is all on top of doing the essential work so I can ride it. But yeah, I'm happy with how the cosmetics came out for the most part!

Excellent bud, looking much better already! Running well?
The paint code for the frame is R134 Fighting red just incase you ever need it for touch up or full respray,
Careful though if you go that far with it it will cost!

Thanks for the heads up Red! I got it started a few weeks back, I definitely need to pull the carb and get that cleaned because it dies out when you're not on the throttle. This is okay though, I wasn't anticipating riding it before spring, I want to give myself the winter to get the water pump gasket done, change the oil, air filter, and get it just how I wanted it. If I were to try to do that before winter I'd drive myself crazy and spend too much lol.