Other 1986 kx80 project

I am rebuilding a 86 kx80 and am running into a few set backs with this little project. I was looking online at carbs either off a bike or after market. In my search i found non but websites saying carbs from 1979-2000 were the same, so i bought a 1998 carb. the problem i am running into in that my original intake boot is not fitting the carb. My stock boot on my 1986 kx is bigger in diameter then the 1998 carb. I am thinking maybe the carb i bought came off a kx65 but not sure. I am looking for any info on this part wise, what i should be looking at, and or any ways to trouble to shoot this. I also found out that the stock carb is a mikuni and the one i purchased is keihin. would this make any difference? did i get the wrong carb? or is there another boot i could by from a different year that would fit?

Welcome!
Did you try cross referencing part numbers and getting the actual carb model? Did you buy a Chinese carb with a vague description?

Contact your local Kawasaki dealer parts guy. The right guy will be able to tell you exactly what carb model you need. Then buy some oils and cleaners from them to show your thanks.
You may also want to try SUDCO.com.

Attachments

• 86 KX80 Carb.png
    86 KX80 Carb.png
    192.2 KB · Views: 3
@Trfsrfr whats the differencrs between g1 nd g2 this is my first bike project ibe taken up. Thnx for the ebay link also
No Problemo.

Not exactly sure what the differences are to be honest, but I believe it has to do with things like the country of origin. Canada comes to mind. Probably is also for things like accessory packages.

@Emily ebay does not tell you diameters so that wouldnt have made a difference
I think mine is a 29mm carb, I'll check later. It may be the same size on an 86.

Last edited: