1985 Xr200r Project

1985 xr200r Guy said it was run out of oil, ran a year ago, saved it from being thrown in trash. We offered 100 bucks, so now it sits in my yard. I offered to look at it and rebuild the top end. Ordered a thin walled socket today so I can't test compression without that. Gotten into research and a lot of people talk of difficulty finding parts. Im having a hell of a time. Any tips, haven't seen inside engine yet, hoping I can rehone and just do rings and piston. Do these even exist still? a piston kit that will fit it? Sorry if this has been posted before, if it has maybe a link?

They only made the 4 valve 200 for two years. The engine us based in the 250. Never opened one but I am told the clutch and trans stuff swap. See if lasco has pistons. It would be interesting to see how hard turning it into a 250 would be. It wouldn't feel so fat that way.

SRAD97750

Staff member
OEM still carries just about everything for that bike.
Wiseco is still making those pistons.
eBay is flooded with the XR200 NOS.
-BIG DAN:thumb:

OEM still carries just about everything for that bike.
Wiseco is still making those pistons.
eBay is flooded with the XR200 NOS.
-BIG DAN:thumb:
I can find just about any part but piston kits, I see plenty of parts for the xr200 with atc engine but nothing for this year containing rfvc engine...

SRAD97750

Staff member
OEM looks like the best bet for this strange year.
They still have STD pistons and bottom end bearings available to order.

the bottom end bearing came in the xr250's so it isn't much of a surprise that those would still be available. los angeles sleeve catologs sleeves for them which again is no suprised since they keep their blueprints after even one is built. if you can get an oe std you may consider getting the cylinder plated up to std. it would then last much longer. you may be starting to see it isn't a low cost easy to do project from the supply stand point.

Went to bike shop today and as long as we can work with the cylinder thats there, hone or bore, they can fit it with an oem or wiesco piston. Since the rfvc runs hot already, from whatyou ive read, hoping we can get away with honing and not bore it. Engines out, waiting on manual before I crack it open.

I saw him look up the oem, come to think of it he was telling me 80 somethin for the oem and if i went wiesco probably 130....guess he didnt look that one up he was just comparing prices assuming wiesco carried it, maybe they dont.