1985 dr250

I just recently got a 1985 dr250 and I have made it trail only. I wanna bring the rear sprocket up in size to get more low end out of it, it has a 42t right now and was thinking about going to a 50. This is the first dirt bike I have owned so I need so help finding a good sprocket size and where to find a sprocket as well. Thank you for any help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just recently got a 1985 dr250 and I have made it trail only. I wanna bring the rear sprocket up in size to get more low end out of it, it has a 42t right now and was thinking about going to a 50. This is the first dirt bike I have owned so I need so help finding a good sprocket size and where to find a sprocket as well. Thank you for any help

Welcome. A 44 or 46 will give you more torque but you’ll lose some top end. I had a DR back then. It was a real mellow motor.

For woods and mountain riding I've found that 4:1 is the ideal ratio. I.e. If you have a 13 up front I'd go with a 52 on the rear, if you are doing more wide open riding then 3.53:1 (13/46) is a good ratio you'll have decent low end pull and still have some top end left.

On the older rigs, and especially the ones where the swingarm pivot was far from the counter shaft sprocket I tend to run the largest front sprocket that I can, and then go larger on the back to make up for that. the 4-1 ratio or there about is what I would end up with on a mx bike, but found you have more to play with in the case of a wide ratio trans like the DR's have. Usually the gear ratio you start with ends up feeling on the low side pretty soon if you are a new offroader. So you may want to wait to spend.

Sorry about the wicked delay, I thought I was going to get notifications of when people replied and I forgot to manually check, my bad. How do I find sprockets for it? Are they usually universal mounting or is there something I should look for? Thank you for all the info. It’s more or less something to trail with. Really not expecting a ripping machine or anything.

Sorry about the wicked delay, I thought I was going to get notifications of when people replied and I forgot to manually check, my bad. How do I find sprockets for it? Are they usually universal mounting or is there something I should look for? Thank you for all the info. It’s more or less something to trail with. Really not expecting a ripping machine or anything.

Try here:
https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/c/226/Drive