1983 Suzuki DR100 won't run

I have a 1983 Suzuki DR100. It hadn't been run in 8 years. It was stuck. I got it loose and now has 160psi compression, a new spark plug, and good spark. The carb was full of corrosion. Cleaned it the best I could. It was so bad there was damage to the inside. The bike started and ran good for about a minute then died. Would not restart, just pops and acts like it wants to start. It's getting fuel. In the days after I could get it to do the same thing. It would never restart after running for about a minute. I decided to try a new knockoff (24mm) carb. It now does the same thing but only runs for about five seconds. Is that carb too big? Does it have to be perfect to run? I put the new knockoff on my 180 and it runs great. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Have you rechecked the compression? What does your plug look like? Is it black and sooty or sort of an ashen color? You may need to adjust your jetting (different size jets). Considering the bike sat for so long and was locked up, it really should have the top end torn down. Check the bore, piston, rings, valves and valve seating. It kinda sounds like once it generates a little heat, something is expanding and opening up or sticking. You might also check the intake to make sure it’s not dry rotted or leaking air. You did drain the old oil and put some fresh oil in? You may need to do it again and check for metallic particles.

Last edited:
Have you rechecked the compression? What does your plug look like? Is it black and sooty or sort of an ashen color? You may need to adjust your jetting (different size jets). Considering the bike sat for so long and was locked up, it really should have the top end torn down. Check the bore, piston, rings, valves and valve seating. It kinda sounds like once it generates a little heat, something is expanding and opening up or sticking. You might also check the intake to make sure it’s not dry rotted or leaking air. You did drain the old oil and put some fresh oil in? You may need to do it again and check for metallic particles.