Other 1983 Honda CR480 Needs Shock

Looking for a shock for an 83 CR480.

My buddy's blew out last weekend and he sent it to Race-Tec to have it rebuilt, but they told him the chrome was garbage.
They only made these things one year I believe so parts are also hard to find and we haven't had any luck so far with the usual avenues.

Anybody got one they're willing to part with, or an alternative solution?
I haven't cross-referenced to see if its the same as one used on other bikes cuz the micro fiches I've seen dont go back to 83 for this bike.

Factory connection. Give them a call. Also try Powerseal USA. They might be able to rechrome it as well then you send it somewhere else.
I'm not a huge racetech fan.

I'm not a huge racetech fan.
I dont know anything about them, but my buddy is an ex motorcycle shop owner from CO long ago, and he knows of these places. I am still learning. Thanks for the links, I've bookmarked them for future reference.

I also found this site which has some pretty good info;
http://www.oem-cycle.com/HONDACR500BIKEID.shtml

Makes me wonder if I could find a different shock and maybe just relocate the top mounting bracket.
I have no fear of cutting things apart, modifying them, and welding them back together. I'm actually quite skilled at it...

Last edited:
I dont know anything about them, but my buddy is an ex motorcycle shop owner from CO long ago, and he knows of these places. I am still learning. Thanks for the links, I've bookmarked them for future reference.

I also found this site which has some pretty good info;
http://www.oem-cycle.com/HONDACR500BIKEID.shtml

Makes me wonder if I could find a different shock and maybe just relocate the top mounting bracket.
I have no fear of cutting things apart, modifying them, and welding them back together. I'm actually quite skilled at it...

It would be a damn shame to cut that bike to fit the shock thanhave the shock rechromed and rebuilt.
Penske ma be able to help as well.

the 84 and 85 swingarm, linkage and shock should fit. that should be for any of the 125, 250 and 480/500's. the 125 and 250 are going to be a bit shorter. I am not sure if the 84 and 85 linkage works with what I recall as as a shorter shock. I have an 84 125 roller I can measure anything on that you want