1969 Briggs and Stratton Mini Bike Build

I have a Briggs and Stratton Mini Bike from 1969 im building this winter. its a cool little bike that needs a lot of work. It was sitting in my grandma's backyard for almost 20 years! It is in good shape as far as rust goes, no major damage to the frame. The 3.5 HP motor is done for though, after 20 years in the elements with no spark plug or air filter cover to protect the cylinder it is now just a twenty pound paper weight. It may take a little while to get it back to shape but it will be fun to have it around.

I have the rims (which is good since they don't make these kind anymore), the frame, the steering and forks, and the fenders and seat brackets.

It needs:
brakes
seat
motor (im planning on a 10 HP Briggs and Stratton)
throttle
tires/tubes
axles
chain
clutch
spacers
pegs
Basically the whole works

Add-ons im planning for it are a headlight and tail light, with battery.

IMG_0238_zps9ab72b24.jpg

Ill keep it updated as I go along and get new parts.

I think a 10 HP Briggs will be too big. I had one of these once and my dad and I put on a 5 HP Briggs from a 3.5 and it was a tight squeeze but it sure ran strong. The Taco 44's were very popular back then but the one I had was called a Palomini or something like that. Should be a fun project. :thumb:

I think a 10 HP Briggs will be too big. I had one of these once and my dad and I put on a 5 HP Briggs from a 3.5 and it was a tight squeeze but it sure ran strong. The Taco 44's were very popular back then but the one I had was called a Palomini or something like that. Should be a fun project. :thumb:

The straight up and down Briggs are too big, I already measured them. But I found a 10 that has the cylinder on the front, kind of like a crf50. They have the same mounting pattern and if i move the gas tank on it it should slide right in. It'll be a little tight but i think 10 hp would be a great engine, at least enough to carry me around. Should be a fun project, ill post vids and pics of me working on it.

Update 1:

I removed the tires. The front rim is in good shape and should be restored easily. The rear rim however didn't fair too well. It has some damage and may need to be replaced. I will try to find a new one, but if not I will have to get a whole different kind of rim.

IMG_0243_zps62b5b51d.jpg

The color scheme im going for is going to be like my 450. The rim will be blue, the decorative center pieces will be green. The bearings definitely need to be replaced, they were tough to get out even with my bearing remover.

CHECK IT OUT!!!

A Briggs and Stratton 900 series engine. It has 9 ft lbs of torque at 2600 RPM and 9 HP at 3600. I was going to get the 1000 series which is a 10 HP, but 10 on up has 1 inch shafts, the clutch im using is a 3/4". This little guy is going to be perfect for this mini bike. It was $238.50 at a little shop, all the big name hardware stores had it for $360+! I also bought the chain and the sand to sand blast the frame.

IMG_0255_zps95950a4f.jpg

Here it is mocked up in the frame to make sure it fitted. I like how the exhaust is going to go under the seat and out the back. The only fitment issue was the oil fill spout, it was too tall and hit the frame. A couple of oil plugs fixed that right up.

IMG_0257_zps323ddfba.jpg

here is the centrifugal clutch added to it.

IMG_0258_zps959756d7.jpg

Here is a video of it running. Hopefully it works, Google+ really F-ed up youtube.

Im using the GoPro Harness :thumb:

Sand blasting the frame tomorrow morning. Im going to paint it as well. I ordered all the stuff needed for it so when that gets here I can have it together and running. Shouldn't be more than 1 1/2 weeks (allowing for process and shipping times) before this old mini bike is back together and running strong.

Sand blasting the frame tomorrow morning. Im going to paint it as well. I ordered all the stuff needed for it so when that gets here I can have it together and running. Shouldn't be more than 1 1/2 weeks (allowing for process and shipping times) before this old mini bike is back together and running strong.

I assume this will be another "blue beast"? Awesome build thread.

:USA: