16yrs 6foot 200lbs new rider

I've only rode a bike twice by myself. I loved it and wanna try to get better. I'm tight on money so thinking something cheap. Not sure what size bike and/or engine. I don't know much of anything about bikes so any tips and suggestions would be extremely helpful. Thank you- George

I've only rode a bike twice by myself. I loved it and wanna try to get better. I'm tight on money so thinking something cheap. Not sure what size bike and/or engine. I don't know much of anything about bikes so any tips and suggestions would be extremely helpful. Thank you- George
Oh and I won't be riding in pits or anything. Trying to find something street legal so I can ride on the road. Also going to be riding on some trails that allow motorized vehicles around town so nothing extreme.

If you are going to be riding on the street, I would suggest going to a riding school. My son has ridden bikes since he was 3 and when he turned 16, I put him in the riding school for street anyways and he actually enjoyed it and learned a few more things.

Welcome to the sire. I would say a 250 street bike would be good.

If you are going to be riding on the street, I would suggest going to a riding school. My son has ridden bikes since he was 3 and when he turned 16, I put him in the riding school for street anyways and he actually enjoyed it and learned a few more things.

1. Idk if they have something like that riding school where I live. What would I need to look up or search for to find it.
2. I was thinking around 250. The only problem is my area has not a lot of dirt bikes. And the bikes they have that are for sale aren't street legal. Is there any way I could make one that's not street legal into a street legal dirt Bike?

You can find a TTR or crf 230 they make street kits for them. Check with your local laws before committing and definetly take the road course. It may save your life.

You can find a TTR or crf 230 they make street kits for them. Check with your local laws before committing and definetly take the road course. It may save your life.
Hey don't you guys have to sit a test to ride a bike on the road?

SRAD97750

Staff member
Depends. My skills test was part of my motorcycle safety course. I use the things I learned in that class everytime I ride.
Also made getting my license a breeze. You ride their bikes all day and if the instructor sees you have the ability, you have passed.

If you don't utilize a safety course, the DMV test can be quite difficult for the new rider. -BIG DAN:thumb:

MSF should be in every state of some sorts. 3 of my 6 kids have their M1. The course at DMV and the MSF class are night and day. Take the class, it will teach you things you didn't realize. I even took the off road one because it was free and you had to have a certificate to be a volunteer for the USFS.

1. Idk if they have something like that riding school where I live. What would I need to look up or search for to find it.
2. I was thinking around 250. The only problem is my area has not a lot of dirt bikes. And the bikes they have that are for sale aren't street legal. Is there any way I could make one that's not street legal into a street legal dirt Bike?
Did a quick search on "motorcycle safety course" and came up with a few results. Here is a good one that give you FAQs and locations. http://www.iowadot.gov/mvd/motorcycle/MCsafety.html
I don't know the Iowa laws on conversions from dirt to street for bikes, so you would need to look into that one. But if you can convert a dirt bike into a street bike, Mihylo33 gave some good examples.
:ride:

MSF should be in every state of some sorts. 3 of my 6 kids have their M1. The course at DMV and the MSF class are night and day. Take the class, it will teach you things you didn't realize. I even took the off road one because it was free and you had to have a certificate to be a volunteer for the USFS.
I did not take the course but I did the DMV test on my DS bike. Was a breeze and the guy even said that was the bike to do it on. I do have 100 years of riding experience so I did a stoppie around the circle when he said "keep one wheel inside the lines" :lol:

When I got my motorcycle endorsement you had the permit for 6weeks mandatory then the road test that you could take on any bike. Now here in NJ if you take the class they give you your license. The class is 3 10hr days straight. No lates, no tardiness no early dismissal or you fail. Best idea jersey dmv ever had.

Depends. My skills test was part of my motorcycle safety course. I use the things I learned in that class everytime I ride.
Also made getting my license a breeze. You ride their bikes all day and if the instructor sees you have the ability, you have passed.

If you don't utilize a safety course, the DMV test can be quite difficult for the new rider. -BIG DAN:thumb:
Similar here although we have the CBT, Compulsory Basic Training which allows use of a 125 road bike for 2 years, you can then go onto sit the full bike test within the 2 years but most don't make the jump!:thumbsdown:

When I got my motorcycle endorsement you had the permit for 6weeks mandatory then the road test that you could take on any bike. Now here in NJ if you take the class they give you your license. The class is 3 10hr days straight. No lates, no tardiness no early dismissal or you fail. Best idea jersey dmv ever had.

Same here. No one I know who has taken it said they didn't learn something to use from now on.