250F 05' Honda CRF250X not sure what the issue is?

On my last trip out I laid my bike down on its side pretty hard and put a hole in my water pump cover (that went unnoticed when assessing damage.) So needless to say it was running hotter than it should have when we finally noticed the problem about 15 minutes of hard riding later. While we were figuring out what to do we noticed that my engine oil was also leaking out through my air box. At that point we decided to hide it behind some trees and comeback later with the truck to get. A few days ago all the new parts came in and I installed them and decided to change the oil in the engine and the transmission (both of which were very very low) and noticed some small pieces of metal probably a bit smaller than the average piece of glitter. So I changed my oil filter and put new oil in the engine and transmission and then put coolant in the radiators and started it. When it finally started I noticed it was still dumping oil out of the air box and the whole bike was vibrating more than normal and was a bit louder. I am not sure what the problem is, if you could help in any way that would be great. Thank you.

On my last trip out I laid my bike down on its side pretty hard and put a hole in my water pump cover (that went unnoticed when assessing damage.) So needless to say it was running hotter than it should have when we finally noticed the problem about 15 minutes of hard riding later. While we were figuring out what to do we noticed that my engine oil was also leaking out through my air box. At that point we decided to hide it behind some trees and comeback later with the truck to get. A few days ago all the new parts came in and I installed them and decided to change the oil in the engine and the transmission (both of which were very very low) and noticed some small pieces of metal probably a bit smaller than the average piece of glitter. So I changed my oil filter and put new oil in the engine and transmission and then put coolant in the radiators and started it. When it finally started I noticed it was still dumping oil out of the air box and the whole bike was vibrating more than normal and was a bit louder. I am not sure what the problem is, if you could help in any way that would be great. Thank you.

That's crazy. Could be a few things. Piston Blow by comes to mind. An over filled crank case, clogged crank case vent, excessively worn balve guides. Gummed up head not allowing oil to drain back to crank case etc etc.

You should do a leak down test.

Last edited: