250F 05 CRF250R Hot Start Famn Ducking Piece of tit Sucking Honda.

So before I put up a part out ad for my 05 CRF250R I thought I'd check here.

And yes, I feel like a total idiot for having to ask about what should be such a simple job.

The last time I raced my CRF the hot start cable quit moving, I noticed a kink in the sheath right where it goes into the perch, no big deal, I'll spend $14 for a new cable and we'll be going again. I got the cable, right bike on RMA, right part # according to every other site. Upon starting it, I realized it wasn't going to be as easy and straight forward as I thought, so after removing the subframe and upper shock bolt, I got the carb to where I could pull the cable, got the plastic nut out just fine, and after pulling the cable end came out, plunger was stuck with a lot of gunk around it, so I cleaned it and blew it out with an airgun and pull the plunger out with some needle nose pliers. Now this is where the real fun starts. No matter how I put it together, 90* elbow, nut, spring, plunger, the cable won't come through the end of the plastic far enough for me to get the plunger on. After trimming a little bit off of the metal part of the elbow I managed to get that accomplished, put it all back together and its a pita to get the hot start on at the lever, and my worst fears are realized when I fire it up, the hot start is pulled open due to the cable seeming to be too short, backfiring and all sorts of fun lean stuff, I disconnected the cable at the lever and the problem goes away.

I did compare the cables, they are identical.

I feel like an idiot because this should not be complicated and I've done way bigger jobs with success, but does anyone have any input as to what might be wrong? Yes the cable is adjusted full long, adjusters close together.

Also, does anyone know of a pull type plunger like the choke from another bike that I could used to eliminate the cable operated one?

Never an issue with that one on my 01 WR250F
wink.gif

Last edited:
Don't listen to him......everything sags with age.
my whole problem with that is the cable reaches up there just fine, and getting it on the hot start plunger was a pita. end of the clutch lever is level with the end of the bar.
You're a knowledgeable guy, any ideas?

Last edited:
Couldn't be improper routing?....I know you said you compared both cables, otherwise I'd say defective or misboxed part....you've got a weird one there. If you figure it out let me know.

Cable lengths were exactly the same? Sheath lengths exactly the same?
Not following the exact route that the manual describes can cause issues when it comes to cable length.

Hmmmm seems like a lot of little things these days don't really work well. Remember my slave cylinder for my Magura clutch?
Yup :/ like I mentioned, if I could replace the cable operated system with a knob like the choke I gladly would. On TT I saw where someone put the choke off an 05 WR250F on a CRF/X and used that :thinking:
carbmod.jpg

welp, put it back together (again) cable is routed exactly as shown in shop manual, and it runs even worse, slid the clutch perch all the way to the right, no change.