Other '04 CRF 70 idle issues

Hi guys and gals!

It's been a while since I've posted I know, but I'm having a hell of a time with my son's CRF70 and was hoping someone here with more knowledge than me could help me out.

The problem: Bike starts fine and runs *ok* with the choke on. It will eventually die if you don't blip the throttle but the RPM is generally in the right place. Now, when you turn the choke off, the engine races like crazy. The RPM shoots up and seemingly nothing will bring it down. The idle adjustment screw does nothing. I can't for the life of me get it to idle nicely with the choke off.

What I've tried:
- Recently rebuilt the carb with the stock jetting. Pulled it apart again today to make sure nothing was amiss and everything seems ok.
- Tried lean and rich settings on the throttle pin (via the little clip adjuster)
- The air screw is at the stock starting point of 1&1/2 turns out.
- I've checked and adjusted the valve clearance to be within spec. (Intake valve originally had no play in it and I fixed it thinking that would for sure fix it...no dice)
- Air filter and spark plug are relatively new (only a couple of rides on them) and clean.
- Swearing. Lots and lots of swearing.

I did notice the tube coming from the airbox that clamps on to the carb looks a little beat up (like its pulling away from the airbox) but it's been like that since I've bought it. Could it be an air leak there?

Ok, sorry in advance for the long post. I really don't want to go to the dealer. Please help!

Hi guys and gals!

It's been a while since I've posted I know, but I'm having a hell of a time with my son's CRF70 and was hoping someone here with more knowledge than me could help me out.

The problem: Bike starts fine and runs *ok* with the choke on. It will eventually die if you don't blip the throttle but the RPM is generally in the right place. Now, when you turn the choke off, the engine races like crazy. The RPM shoots up and seemingly nothing will bring it down. The idle adjustment screw does nothing. I can't for the life of me get it to idle nicely with the choke off.

What I've tried:
- Recently rebuilt the carb with the stock jetting. Pulled it apart again today to make sure nothing was amiss and everything seems ok.
- Tried lean and rich settings on the throttle pin (via the little clip adjuster)
- The air screw is at the stock starting point of 1&1/2 turns out.
- I've checked and adjusted the valve clearance to be within spec. (Intake valve originally had no play in it and I fixed it thinking that would for sure fix it...no dice)
- Air filter and spark plug are relatively new (only a couple of rides on them) and clean.
- Swearing. Lots and lots of swearing.

I did notice the tube coming from the airbox that clamps on to the carb looks a little beat up (like its pulling away from the airbox) but it's been like that since I've bought it. Could it be an air leak there?

Ok, sorry in advance for the long post. I really don't want to go to the dealer. Please help!
Nah dont go to the dealer or your gonna look really blonde with a camel in toe/tow!
Sticky slide, or cable after "" blip"" if its over revving its getting constant fuel/ air to make it rev otherwise it would just die

Last edited:
clean the pilot jet with a fine copper wire or since its a small carb the hole is sooo tiny you may not be able to get a wire in it so buy a new one. Classic signs of a clogged pilot-runs with choke on but wont idle dies with choke off.

Thanks for the ideas everyone. I think I'll take the carb off with the throttle valve still attached and see if the cable is binding in any way causing the slide not to fully go down (cause everything looks fine as far as the slide goes with the carb off the bike). It would be great if it was just a poorly adjusted throttle cable. If that looks ok I think I'll replace the tube coming from the airbox to the carb to rule out any air leaks on that side.

It shouldn't be any clogged jets because they're all brand new...

Thanks for the ideas everyone. I think I'll take the carb off with the throttle valve still attached and see if the cable is binding in any way causing the slide not to fully go down (cause everything looks fine as far as the slide goes with the carb off the bike). It would be great if it was just a poorly adjusted throttle cable. If that looks ok I think I'll replace the tube coming from the airbox to the carb to rule out any air leaks on that side.

It shouldn't be any clogged jets because they're all brand new...

It's not just the jets. There's a bunch of airways and passages in the carb that get clogged with dirt and shmuts