450F 03 CRF450R Does Not Start

My buddy bought a the bike a couple weeks ago not running, the seller told him in need a stater. He took the shop and they told him it needed valves, so he told them ok put them in. Now he went pick up his bike this morning and came over to my place. We got it started and he rode it around for a min and it died. Now we can not get it to start again, any ideas? Were thinking the stater might be going out?

I think if you didn't test it before giving it to a shop for valves you should have. Get the meter, the manual, and get to wrenching as the next shop will bend you over just a little more.

I think if you didn't test it before giving it to a shop for valves you should have. Get the meter, the manual, and get to wrenching as the next shop will bend you over just a little more.
They put brand new valves in it. But now he has told me that after he left my place and went home hit got it started in two kicks, left it while he put his helmet on and came back and the coolant went blew up. So im not sure what is going on.

Letting a bike idle he probably overheated it. Needs to fire, warm, ride off. About the time to put helmet/gloves/goggles on if they are not on the other side of the yard. Right next to you. No fan, needs air across the radiators, could be lean jetted depending on where you bought it, where it is now.

If all they did was put new valves in, there could be a sealing problem. Did they mention anything about the condition of the head? Install guides or give current clearance specs? Did they pull out Ti valves or steel? Did they put in Ti or steel? I would hope they gave a detailed invoice, or at least said “has this, needs that” etc..
Rarely are any problems solved with new valves alone. Much of this information is abundant online and these issues are well documented.
:deadhorse:

Sometimes, intermittent ignition and or electronic issues can be duplicated when the bike gets hot, try to have some tests ready and get the bike to act up. This is the best way to diagnose intermittent issues. Or you can get the parts cannon out and keep reloading untill your out of money or you luck out and fix it.

we have an 02 450. The electronic part behind the number plate bolted to the steering head went bad on ours. It would start cold, run for a few minutes, stutter and pop for a minute, then die and no restart until it cooled completely down. Took me a couple of swaps of parts from another bike to figure it out.

So have you at least figured if it is spark, fuel, or mechanical? When it dies have you checked for spark? Is the spark plug soaked with fuel, or dry? Before you change anything else you need to pinpoint what it is lacking before you can find out why. Check the basics.

wait, a 03 crf450r has something besides a kick starter to start it? either way, if it starts then dies out after it runs out you have either a fuel issue or electrical issue, probably fuel.

wait, a 03 crf450r has something besides a kick starter to start it?
Well it’s starter missing an r or stator with an e either way there is such little information it’s speculative anyway. I don’t want to figure why it doesn’t run until I find out how the shop knew it needed valves. My GUESS is they didn’t replace the valves, just shimmed them and got misconstrued as replaced the “valves”. Perhaps the op’s buddy needs to come in here so we can grill him. First off, don’t buy a non runner unless you’ve got the experience to fix it. If you’re going to shop out all the work, it’s a money pit. Better off putting that money in a better newer machine.

Well it’s starter missing an r or stator with an e either way there is such little information it’s speculative anyway. I don’t want to figure why it doesn’t run until I find out how the shop knew it needed valves. My GUESS is they didn’t replace the valves, just shimmed them and got misconstrued as replaced the “valves”. Perhaps the op’s buddy needs to come in here so we can grill him. First off, don’t buy a non runner unless you’ve got the experience to fix it. If you’re going to shop out all the work, it’s a money pit. Better off putting that money in a better newer machine.
Bro I came here for some help, not to get told not to buy something that isn't running. And to cover every one else, it was the stator that was bad, we finally got it to start by messing with the richness of the fuel, now it starts with 2-3 kicks every time whether it is hot or cold. The old valves were given to him when he picked up the bike, so they were definitely changed. He bought the bike because the dude said all it needed was a stator, which a new one came with the bike. Long story short he should have listened to the seller and me, not some shady repair guy. Lesson Learned.