RM125 02 Rm 125 low power

Hey guys, I'm hoping yall can help me out with a situation I got. Any advice or tips will help. So recently I took my 2002 to a mechanic because it had a problem between gears 1-3 at high rpm (before the powerband hit)the bike would stutter and bog. I was told it was a firing issue and needed a new stator. I gave the mechanic a used stator and he said it's still having the same issue. He also said he jetted the bike for me. When I picked it up two days ago, it's now not holding idle and still has the same original problem going on. Also the bike is running super rich. does anyone have any idea what's going on with my bike. I think it might be that he messed up the jetting but I also dont know what's the initial problem. Thanks in advance!!

SRAD97750

Staff member
The idle screw on the side of the carb might help raise the idle, but I suspect the carburetor setting as the entire issue.
If you pull the carburetor apart, the jets will have numbers on them to see how far from stock it may be.
I would start with a carburetor cleaning, setting the float height, and making sure you have clean fresh fuel.
The idle mixture screw can be set to 1-1/2 turns from gently seated as a 'starting position' for most 2Ts from that era.
-BIG DAN:thumb:

Your “mechanic” knew it ran like crap when he gave it to you. He should surrender his credentials if he has any.
Gears 1-3.. what about 4th gear? Did it rev out at all? Takes 3 min to do a compression test did he do a compression test? Probably the float height all along. Did he set the float when he “jetted” it? When asking for diagnostic help, more information is always better than less.

Your “mechanic” knew it ran like crap when he gave it to you. He should surrender his credentials if he has any.
Gears 1-3.. what about 4th gear? Did it rev out at all? Takes 3 min to do a compression test did he do a compression test? Probably the float height all along. Did he set the float when he “jetted” it? When asking for diagnostic help, more information is always better than less.
I'm doing a compression test myself tomorrow. 4th and 5th gear are completely fine.

Ok now we’re getting somewhere. RPM’s and engine performance aren’t relative to particular gear selection. If your stator is providing spark at full rev in 4th, 2-3 should be no different. Not much working on zooks, so I don’t know what kind of power valve setup they have, but could be a place to look.
Again though, most are rpm based. Might be sticking shut.

Ok now we’re getting somewhere. RPM’s and engine performance aren’t relative to particular gear selection. If your stator is providing spark at full rev in 4th, 2-3 should be no different. Not much working on zooks, so I don’t know what kind of power valve setup they have, but could be a place to look.
Again though, most are rpm based. Might be sticking shut.
I also have a video of the sound of the performance when riding

Of course, the basics of rich/lean mean fuel/air not gas/oil. The fuel has oil in it, but is still fuel. Reducing the ratio of oil/gas only reduces the amount of lubrication. You engine needs lubrication. Less oil will make it run hotter, but not leaner. The rich lean condition is always referring to the fuel. Rich= too much fuel Lean= too little fuel.