250 Yz250 won't start

Hey guys, I'm new to dirt bikes, I've only had my bike a week, and now for some reason it won't start. Two days ago I rode for an hour with a brand new spark plug (started first kick cold) and today I go to ride and the bike won't start, I put another brand new plug in it and it didn't make a difference. (I tried using starting fluid and it didn't pop, but it's kind of hard to do it by myself) any ideas?

SRAD97750

Staff member
Remember you want to get riding again F.A.S.T.!!!!

Fuel - Do you have clean fuel getting into the carburetor? Is the carburetor clean? Clean it anyway...
Air - Is your intake boots and air filter in proper working order?
Spark - Is the killswitch stuck? Do you have spark with the plug laid against the cylinder head while you kick?
Try again once you have verified all these things. One of them is most likely the cause.

-BIG DAN :thumb:

The fuel is fine, the last time I rode, I ran it out of gas. And the gas I put in was new.
The filter is filthy, I tried to buy a UNI to replace it but got ripped off on eBay. But this shouldn't be the problem since I had the filter off?

The plug is new, but I didn't check to see if it was sparking. I will check the kill switch tomorrow too.

The fuel is fine, the last time I rode, I ran it out of gas. And the gas I put in was new.
The filter is filthy, I tried to buy a UNI to replace it but got ripped off on eBay. But this shouldn't be the problem since I had the filter off?

The plug is new, but I didn't check to see if it was sparking. I will check the kill switch tomorrow too.

Key phrase.

Make sure gas is getting to the carburetor. Have you cleaned the carburetor before? You can clean air filters, dish soap and water will suffice but make sure you re-oil it after it drys off.

running the bike completely out of gas often causes any dirt that is in the tank to be sucked into the carb and then will clog the jets up makeing it not run. Plus running a dirty filter and then takeing it off on top of that can't be helping the probably already dirty carb :shocked:

running the bike completely out of gas often causes any dirt that is in the tank to be sucked into the carb and then will clog the jets up makeing it not run. Plus running a dirty filter and then takeing it off on top of that can't be helping the probably already dirty carb :shocked:

Makes a lot of sense, the carb needs cleaning anyway, there's no hope for the filter lol.

I have three of these bikes, had 4 until Sunday last week. New spark plug is a dud. I have had them before, change it before you move forward with anything else. :thumb:
Really? The plug I swapped it out for only had an hour on it and it wouldn't start?

Has anyone heard of spraying the end of a spark plug with gas the lighting it to clean a fouled plug?

Really? The plug I swapped it out for only had an hour on it and it wouldn't start?

Has anyone heard of spraying the end of a spark plug with gas the lighting it to clean a fouled plug?

Dead plug! I ran across two in one order of 6 from the local on line shop, but hey, it's your time spent not mine.

And dump the air filter oil regime, and get real air filter oil.

Dead plug! I ran across two in one order of 6 from the local on line shop, but hey, it's your time spent not mine.

And dump the air filter oil regime, and get real air filter oil.
Alright, I'll just go ahead and get some more plugs, I ALMOST bought two. But at 10$ a piece I just bought one. Do you buy BR8EG plugs?