What do you use to secure your grips?

What do you use to secure your grips?

• Total voters
Next time I do grips, I'm writing an artical. I use Elmers spray adhesive. I can take my grips off whenever and they only move a quarter turn every 6 months. The stuff works great, I refuse using anything but now.

Hmmmm red levers.... I didnt think of getting red levers for my RM :thinking:

I was at the Super Sport races this past weekend and they all use hairspray...

i am still experimenting.

i used Aqua net hair spray on the 525sx and those grips are still holding strong.

With the stock grips on the 530exc the left one was loose from day 1 when i broke the bike in. I tried the Aqua Net and it didn't do a damm thing. I tried superglue and it just crystallized and didn't do a damm thing. I tried tie wire and the wire would actually bust before it was tight enough to hold the grip. Last resort was i purchased some Pro Taper grip glue. :thumb: that stuff welds itself to your bars and the rubber. Working great so far.

maybe i jsut got a wired grip cause the right side one is holding great.

i am still experimenting.

i used Aqua net hair spray on the 525sx and those grips are still holding strong.

With the stock grips on the 530exc the left one was loose from day 1 when i broke the bike in. I tried the Aqua Net and it didn't do a damm thing. I tried superglue and it just crystallized and didn't do a damm thing. I tried tie wire and the wire would actually bust before it was tight enough to hold the grip. Last resort was i purchased some Pro Taper grip glue. :thumb: that stuff welds itself to your bars and the rubber. Working great so far.

maybe i jsut got a wired grip cause the right side one is holding great.

yeah its crazy glue :thumb:

The thing that really secures my grips are the bark busters. Even if they come loose they cant come off. I've tried just about every glue, spray paint, etc that I have ever heard of. Eventually they always come loose, but then I get value out of grips.

I tried the hair spray and it did nothing for me. The last time I used rustoleum spray paint and it seems to work great. I also used a safety wire just because I wanted to try it out. I have done the same thing on my kids bike and they all are holding fine. I can not see spending the money on that grip glue they sell. I used Gorilla Glue on something else once before and it works fine but it is a fricken mess if you are not careful.

James

Staff member
I tried tie wire and the wire would actually bust before it was tight enough to hold the grip.
I also had that problem, until I figured out that a smaller gauge wire actually works better. The bigger wire would break at the first twist, however the new smaller gauge allows me to make it super tight without breaking. :noidea:

I can not see spending the money on that grip glue they sell. I used Gorilla Glue on something else once before and it works fine but it is a fricken mess if you are not careful.
I can vouch for the Pro Taper Grip Glue, that stuff works great, especially if you also wire them.
http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/product/PRO-TAPER-GRIP-GLUE/?id=105650

I tried the hair spray and it did nothing for me. The last time I used rustoleum spray paint and it seems to work great. I also used a safety wire just because I wanted to try it out. I have done the same thing on my kids bike and they all are holding fine. I can not see spending the money on that grip glue they sell. I used Gorilla Glue on something else once before and it works fine but it is a fricken mess if you are not careful.

Yeah the thing with GG is, you have to use water to activate it and you only need a VERY small amount of glue because the water causes the glue to expand. Even after you have to keep your eye on it and wipe off the excess, but once it sets your good to go and no wire needed. Now if I was going to be doing monster jumps, whips and such I would prolly use the wire too.