New guy from Arkansas

Rack, remember, I was central Calif before you. Hell I knew Fresno when it was Dustbowl-West for that matter!!
Hmm. Personal nexus to the thread and the post: John Steinbeck wrote a story about my family. We came from Arkansas and settled in Fresno. It was way before my time though. There was something in the story about grapes too.

Hmm. Personal nexus to the thread and the post: John Steinbeck wrote a story about my family. We came from Arkansas and settled in Fresno. It was way before my time though. There was something in the story about grapes too.

Do tell more of the story:prof:

:popcorn:

Yep Marty, read them all. My mother and her family could have known yours. They settled from Bakersfield to Sanger/Fresno. People that lost land that came to pick fruit and get a new start. Maybe you are a little like me when you hear people say they can't find work where they are so they quit looking.

Did you ever go to the places Steinbeck wrote about, specifically?

Do tell more of the story:prof:

:popcorn:
My grandma told me a short version:
"Once upon a time in Malvern, Arkansas, the dirt all blew away so we came to Central California, lived in a tent city, and picked grapes for a living 'till we got on our feet."
It was the best of times- it was the worst of times. :doh:Oops - wrong story, but the right idea.
My grandma and her sister went back to Selma to live the last few years of their lives.
Going to Steinbeck locations brings the stories to life.

uhuh. when my grandfather died in 1963 he was pretty far down on the income ladder. nothing to leave really. but there were over 400 people at his funeral. lots of people I never met that told me how Charlie had helped them get work or sent them in one guy's case $14.00 so that he could get "west" to a better life. I used to see people in the 50's that had just gotten to the san joaquin valley. car full of kids and belongings. no where to go so they lived in the car while they chopped or picked cotton, pruned or picked grapes, knocked almonds and anything else.