New girl rider on yz125

So I've never rode a dirt bike or used a clutch before. I'm 21 and 5'4. I have a '99 yz125. Ive finished my third day riding. I'm almost got the clutch and take off figured out smoothly. My husband doesn't have the patience for me and doesn't get why I can't take off. He doesn't know how to explain it. He says its just instinct. However, today we went trail riding. I made it about a two miles of 18miles in the sugar sand. It's a small pathway only 50in wide. I ended up riding the four wheeler back. They're no where else to practice around us like tracks or anything. I can't figure out the rutted turns and deep dips. I ended up wipping out and sliding over them. My husband says I'm too stiff and my arms wobble. He says I ride scared. I know it's going to take a lot of practice but I get discouraged when 5 year olds ride better.

Any tips?! I have no clue.

So I've never rode a dirt bike or used a clutch before. I'm 21 and 5'4. I have a '99 yz125. Ive finished my third day riding. I'm almost got the clutch and take off figured out smoothly. My husband doesn't have the patience for me and doesn't get why I can't take off. He doesn't know how to explain it. He says its just instinct. However, today we went trail riding. I made it about a two miles of 18miles in the sugar sand. It's a small pathway only 50in wide. I ended up riding the four wheeler back. They're no where else to practice around us like tracks or anything. I can't figure out the rutted turns and deep dips. I ended up wipping out and sliding over them. My husband says I'm too stiff and my arms wobble. He says I ride scared. I know it's going to take a lot of practice but I get discouraged when 5 year olds ride better.

welcome!!!:cheers:
Just relax and don't give up! Take your time and learn at your own speed. If you try too hard, push yourself too fast it will take the fun out of it. So dont get frustrated or discouraged, just ride hone your skills and be happy. :thumb:

Thanks! It's just hard because the trail is only 50in wide and in the Forrest. people ride around all day and they'll run you over or run up so close next to you to pass you if you're going slow on a dirt bike. I just feel like I'm in the way. But I'm trying. I got my first hug bruise down my leg but I'm loving it. :ride:

Be patient, everybody has to start somewhere. Remain calm and ride at a pace that you feel comfortable at just starting out and concentrate on form and technique and the speed will come. If at all possible, set up a couple traffic cones about 20 feet apart and ride circle 8's.
The most important thing is to have fun, I know all too well about younger riders being better than you, I'm 24, race b, and compete against kids that are 16/17 that get to ride everyday :pout:

Thanks. He's not mean about it just not s good teacher. He just doesn't get why I can't turn the high rutted turns. He doesn't know how to explain it because he's not into dirt bikes. He just knows how to ride one. No everyone around here rides four wheelers. The only trail around is in the Forrest. There is no tracks around that I know of.

heres how to do it...Do not look down at your hand, look up in the distance so that you can keep your body and bike level and perpendicular to the ground. You have a computer in your head that is self leveling.

Then start to let the clutch out til you feel it start to drag or engage...now hold it there. Increase the rpms a little with the throttle and let the clutch out a little more and the bike will start to move. Increase the throtlle more and let clutch out 80% of the way and hold it there, do not let it out anymore as the bike starts to roll. The bike will roll a little faster and pick your feet up. Now give it more gas and let the clutch out the rest of the way.

I teach this stuff for street bikes. The two keys would be dont look down and let the clutch out 80-90% of the way and hold it there til the bike is rolling fast enuf to put your feet up.

Keep practicing the starts for 5 min and you will have it. After that there is still much more to learn about using a clutch but this will get you started.

Personally myself id reccomend fourstroke to learn to ride on, although thems are fighting words(4-stroke) lol. A yz125 is not a learners bike in my opinion unless you have a wide open flat paddoc with plenty of space. A fourstroke is way more forgiving when mistakes are made. For your size probably an old xr100 to 250 would be good but on a 250 your feet wouldnt touch tge ground, but I lernt to ride on bikes that I could only start with a street gutter or log of wood beside the bike. With the clutch practice is the only advice you can get. A little revs, let clutch out untill the bike jitters then increase revs while slowly letting out clutch. The more you let out clutch the m revs you give, also adjust clutch to give it more travel time.

Welcome Natalie.......good tips givin here, but you won't learn to ride a dirtbike from the Internet, you'll just need to keep practicing, ride behind someone who is more skilled than you, pay attention to what they do and how they ride, try to have a relaxed but not loose grip on bars, and like snowflake said, try to have fun. Every time you learn somthing or get better you'll hardly be able to wait till your next ride, and when you kick a rutted corners butt and do it effortlessly it will give you a rush you've not felt before....you'll be on your way to being a full fledged addict.

Here ya go, try one I these. :thumb:

http://www.tntmotorsportsinc.com/core/core.html

http://www.scridered.org

Welcome to the forum. I am just learning also. :crash:

There is your problem, find a real man. :smirk:

Way to welcome someone. Meanie!!! :moon: