new 88 yz80u project owner

Hello to all and thank you for the add. I decided this year to take on a project bike for my 12 year old. It is a 1988 yz80u. I am looking forward to making this a great first bike for him. I picked it up locally by trading an rc gas powered car so it definitely fit the wife's budget for my toys :)
Upon bringing the bike home just yesterday, inspection shows good compression, cleaned out old fuel in carb, replaced fuel lines and plug...but found no spark. Owner said it had sat quite sometime. First place I looked was the stator and found a broken wire. Hopefully we can tackle this project together within the month and get him riding.
Looking forward to being part of the forums here. Thanks again.

Oh most definitely. I've found in my research thus far, that this subject getspretty vague on this specific model. I did find however that 84-92 used the same stator therefore broadening the horizon a little bit.
Not sure beyond that if there is on optional replacement. Ive learned that the part is no longer being manufactured so choices are slim. Though there are a few options for an oem replacement on the market, the pricing seems outlandish for the project.
I would like to first try my hand at trying to refurbish the current stator on the bike by soldering the connection back and seeing if I can't get a meter reading from it. If that fails I will attempt to rewind the coil and refurbish the stocker.
Be that as it may pictures will be coming soon and hopefully put an end to the confusion. Open to suggestions.

It is rarely the case, but try unplugging the kill switch. Then make sure all your connections are clean and plugged all the way in before any squish is spent.

Welcome!!!
There are companies that still rewind stators. Hard to find locally but they exist. Local airports usually send out stators, alternators and starters and have them rewound. That would be a good place to start. Best and cheapest way is to locate one on cheap bay or through vintage dirtbike sites like D.C. Plastics.