Just can't decide if I should get a bike or not?

Hi there,

I need some opinions, or advice from people who are experienced with owning and/or not owning bikes. In short, I just can not for the life of me decide if I should get a dirt bike or not.
So it pretty much all started like 3 weeks ago when me and my dad went to pick up one of our ATV's at the motorsports place because it needed repairs. While we were waiting, I went into their show room... Well I was kind of hooked right then, but not on a dirt bike, I wanted a street bike.
But after some thinking about it, I decided if I was going to get a bike at all, I would start with a dirt bike. My reasoning is that, they are quite a lot cheaper in most cases than a decent street bike, I have never owned or even ridden a motorcycle or dirt bike in my life and read in multiple places that it is better to learn to ride a bike in the dirt than on the street. And also, we live in the perfect place for dirt riding, up in the mountains of Colorado with 20 acres of our own, and surrounded by literally 10s of thousands of acres of BLM and national forest with lots of trails and wash outs etc...

So now that you have that info, I need some opinions or stories or whatever that might help me make a smart decision. I'm 21, and as I said never even ridden a powered bike of any kind before, but we do own 3 ATV's and I love those.
I just don't know if I want to get a dirt bike, or just keep the money and save it for something else or whatever. I would not be taking out a loan of any kind, I have the money and could spend it without breaking the bank, but I mean I would still be down a couple thousand dollars, and I want to make sure it's worth it.

The same motorsports dealership has a pre-owned (which is fine by me if it's decent, because I never buy brand new anyway) 2005 Yamah TTR 250 for $1999. Is that a decent deal if the bike is in good shape, or not so much? I have looked on craigslist, but seeing as we live out in the middle of nowhere, there is pretty close to zero options within like 100 miles. :/ And the ones that are available are either crap, or just as expensive as the TTR, for the same type of bike or less. Also, is the TTR 250 a good bike for a beginner? I am 5'11", and weigh aprox 185 lbs, would that be a problem for that bike?

Except for the obvious drawback of being down a couple grand afterwards, the only major drawback I see in my case is that I don't currently have anyone to ride with. I don't know many people around here, and the ones I do know don't ride bikes. The closest I would get right now is riding with my dad (which I enjoy plenty), but he would be on an ATV, would that be a major problem you think?
Anyway thanks for any input you have, I just can't really weigh the pros/cons and make a decision with the little knowladge I have and such.

I have been riding now for 4 years, starting a little late, as in my 40's, but I love it. Being military I am in good shape, and love to ride,,,,, bike are better than ATV's......I say start on a 150 or TTR 250 is ok but get a nice used bike don't spend a lot of money on a bike until you have been riding for a while......and I prefer Honda's lol but get a dirt bike......you will love it........My Bike ..........016.jpg 0402131213-00.jpg

Welcome Chris....ok so first off, yes you should get a dirt bike....I have gone thru periods of time since i was around 11 that i have not owned a bike, and have decided that i will never be without one again. Once you get one you will likely feel the same also, as for riding partners, just go to the local trails,tracks whatnot just ride around there and learn your new bike and a new set of skills, and along the way you will meet people that do like to ride, and gain new friends there, that will solve that concern. as far as the price of the TTR 250, that seems ok as long as its in decent condition. good luck in your decision and im sure youll get other help here from other members....keep us posted as you go thru the process of buying a bike.

Thanks for the replies guys. I will keep you updated as I make progress either way, and hopefully I can some more replies as well. As for going to the local trails or track, I"m really not sure there is any around here. When I say we live in the middle of nowhere, I mean the middle of nowhere. Lol
The closest town is aprox 45 minutes away, and has a population of about 5,000. I have never heard of there being a track or trail where everyone goes, but I'll do some research. If there is no where like that around here to meet other riders, would you say that is a deal breaker?

Thanks for the welcomes. :) As for not being able to ride with a lot of people except for my dad on his quad, do you think that would be a deal breaker for getting a bike? Or are they just so fun that you can enjoy it even by yourself or along side a quad?

I second that. Once you have a bike other bike guys will show up sooner or later.

Quads tend to hold bikes back out on the trail. Unless of course your dad and his quad is just flat out awesome fast.

Hopefully your right about other guys with bikes showing up sooner or later. As for my dad... He definitely isn't conservative with his riding. Lol He isn't afraid of most terrain, and loves blasting down the road/driveway on his 800cc Can-Am at over 60mph. :D So except for the areas where a quad just can't follow a bike, I think it would be fine.

Oh one last question. How does the Yamaha xt225 compare to the TTR 250? Some guy on craigslist has an xt225 for sale for the same price as the TTR 250 at the dealership. My understanding is that the 250 is a bit better bike, but not sure. Could someone shine some light on this?

Not real familiar with either model, but I believe the XT is more of a dual purpose where the TTR is more enduro/dirt type.....I'm sure others will clarify this but for your first, between these two choices I would recommend the TTR, as long as both are in comparably good condition.

Thanks for the replies guys. I will keep you updated as I make progress either way, and hopefully I can some more replies as well. As for going to the local trails or track, I"m really not sure there is any around here. When I say we live in the middle of nowhere, I mean the middle of nowhere. Lol
The closest town is aprox 45 minutes away, and has a population of about 5,000. I have never heard of there being a track or trail where everyone goes, but I'll do some research. If there is no where like that around here to meet other riders, would you say that is a deal breaker?

Here is a great link to see where to ride.....one of the better ones!
http://www.riderplanet-usa.com/

Hopefully your right about other guys with bikes showing up sooner or later. As for my dad... He definitely isn't conservative with his riding. Lol He isn't afraid of most terrain, and loves blasting down the road/driveway on his 800cc Can-Am at over 60mph. :D So except for the areas where a quad just can't follow a bike, I think it would be fine.

Oh one last question. How does the Yamaha xt225 compare to the TTR 250? Some guy on craigslist has an xt225 for sale for the same price as the TTR 250 at the dealership. My understanding is that the 250 is a bit better bike, but not sure. Could someone shine some light on this?

The TTR would be a better bike for you right now. The xt is more road oriented as where the TTR is a subtle dirt ripper with plenty of easy to use power so you don't get bored.