Hello

Hello all, I just bought my first motorbike yesterday, an 03 CRF230. Some interesting events led up to this. A buddy of mine bought a house with some land, our mutual friend came over one day to cut in some trails with her KTM. I thought to myself, "that looks fun" Then her husband (a friend, coworker, and mountain biking companion) bought a bike, and they went and ripped it up one day, and I realized I wanted to be part of the fun. I called up my old boss and bought his daughters old bike. Cherry condition, still has the original tires on it! (I ordered a jet kit and air filter at his suggestion) I have been mountain biking for over 20 years, but this is my first motorized two wheel vehicle. It's going to be a fun adventure. I look forward to getting lots of riding advice from here, and meeting some new friends.

New years day will be my first ride on this bike with a former coworker!!

Cheers,

John1486657_10202709589087908_126051728_n.jpg

Welcome to the forum, we have an 06 in the stable. Bullet proof bike for many years of fun.
Things to do!
Remove air snorkel under the seat.
Remove baffle in exhaust tip.
Remove stock D shaped air screw/install the easy adjust one.
Re-jet to your altitude.
Do yourself a favor if you have not already...
***Riding Gear*** Boots, gloves, of course helmet. I mountain biked for years, still have my GT LTS. Pulled my patella tendon clean off from a good spill.

Hey guys! Thanks for the warm welcome! Yes, I have heard they are pretty bullet proof! I ordered a jet kit and will be removing the baffle in the air box. I am going to leave the spark arrester for the time being as I want to leave it quiet, so I will see how it runs with the jet kit. I have a helmet already. My new 661 boots arrived today, I broke them in a bit after work as well as got some mud on her. My buddy has a bunch of other riding gear for me, pads and clothing. First big ride on New Years day, and yes, i will put up some pix!

Hey guys! Thanks for the warm welcome! Yes, I have heard they are pretty bullet proof! I ordered a jet kit and will be removing the baffle in the air box. I am going to leave the spark arrester for the time being as I want to leave it quiet, so I will see how it runs with the jet kit. I have a helmet already. My new 661 boots arrived today, I broke them in a bit after work as well as got some mud on her. My buddy has a bunch of other riding gear for me, pads and clothing. First big ride on New Years day, and yes, i will put up some pix!
It's not the spark arrester you are removing, it's the baffle. Your opening up the intake and restricting the exhaust, jetting will be a waste of time and money, Does not make much louder with the restriction gone. It's like 86db stock and 94db opened up. :thumb:
I have an 2006 with CR forks and a Works rear opened up and fun.
Just saying.

It's not the spark arrester you are removing, it's the baffle. Your opening up the intake and restricting the exhaust, jetting will be a waste of time and money, Does not make much louder with the restriction gone. It's like 86db stock and 94db opened up. :thumb:
I have an 2006 with CR forks and a Works rear opened up and fun.
Just saying.

Ok, Great, thanks for the info. The dude I bought it from has been doing this for decades and I was just going off what he said. I will try and pull the baffle out and see how it feels!

Ok, Great, thanks for the info. The dude I bought it from has been doing this for decades and I was just going off what he said. I will try and pull the baffle out and see how it feels!

Its the single bolt that goes in from the side at the tip. I'll post up a picture of it for you.