2001 yz125 problem after rebuild

Hi, I bought a 2001 yz125 in peices recently and rebuilt it and put it back together, now when I start it, it only runs wot.. Even with the throttle in the rest position... Can anybody point me in the right direction or shed some light on what could be going wrong?

Slide is stuck
Air leak (intake) creating lean condition
Cable feels like it's moving but it's not
Cable holder or plastic ring that keeps cable in place not lined up properly
Idle screw all the way in

I've checked the slide action when engaging the throttle and everything looks like it's working properly... I checked it with my subframe off and the airbox disconnected from the carb, is the idle screw the "air screw"? Where abouts might it be on the carb, and how should it be adjusted?

Left side of carb, brass screw with 8mm nut to lock it in place. About center of carb, behind choke knob. Is it screeming wide open, or just high? Because you said WOT. Or does it only run that way? You need to clean the carb then.

The slide needs to be closed with a slight open (can't see it).

Last edited:
It's screaming wide open. We had to drag it behind a quad to start it for the first time. In all fairness I have taken the carb out since the time it ran. So the needle might not have been seated right and maybe the slide was stuck open. I haven't tried to start it since I verified the slide was working properly last time I put the carb in. I'm nervous that if it starts wide open I could grenade the motor and be into more money fixing it again lol

It's screaming wide open. We had to drag it behind a quad to start it for the first time. In all fairness I have taken the carb out since the time it ran. So the needle might not have been seated right and maybe the slide was stuck open. I haven't tried to start it since I verified the slide was working properly last time I put the carb in. I'm nervous that if it starts wide open I could grenade the motor and be into more money fixing it again lol

The slide was probably stuck open when you fired it up. Now that you verified it works, kick it over and start it. If it goes into WOT be ready with your kill switch.

It might be wise to do a visual on it first and see if the slide is closing now. I am betting that it was like,,,,oh maybe three others that have been through here :smirk:

Here's a picture of my carb from the airbox side, the throttle is in the closed position but I feel the slide and needle aren't closing far enough.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1459094259758.jpg
    FB_IMG_1459094259758.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 8
Here's a picture of my carb from the airbox side, the throttle is in the closed position but I feel the slide and needle aren't closing far enough.
Hell NO it isn't closed enough. back the screw out and hold it in your hand until you figure out what it is hanging up on. Here is hoping the rest of the build went better :-)

Last edited: